Computer getting a little Dodgy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud about computer problems:

This is the longest I've gone without buying a new desktop. I don't think I've gotten any more than 4 years with the other ones and this computer is well over that age now.

It has been fairly trouble free. It needed some of that "remote" tinkering from McAfee to on some kind of security issue about 4 months ago and I couldn't get a "windows update" for the longest time until I actually searched out what it was the computer needed to be updated on! Turned out to be the word processing and when I requested that download - it loaded and stopped tormenting me with failure notices!

Now, I have a dodgy cursor. Or, it is a dodgy mouse. Or, there's something wrong a little deeper than that. Highlighting something often just creates chaos. And, I've gotta be very, very precise about clicking on a rightclick popup box or I open a bookmark behind what I was after . . . and, I just now italicized the word "behind" and it did that and then created a 2nd - gettin' to be real common.

I'd like to say it is the mouse. This one is a replacement - the 1st was corded.

Think I'm going to cross my digitS', buy a new mouse and hope that does it but, how might the highlighting issues figure in here? Oh yeah, the tiny light on the mouse is out - I thought that indicated a low battery but replacing it, made no difference.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking the same thing. We are at about six tears! And in the past the PC would only make 3 years. And things are just being to get a bit goofy or uncooperative! I better bake up and save some stuff just in case. Figure when it goes it will GO! Hope the new mouse does it for you.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope you get it figured out, but...

Reality is that computer making companies, and all the contractors such as chip makers and doo dad makers, are SUPER HAPPY when things go wrong. I am sure they plan it that way.

There really are THEYS out there. Those theys have large masses of employees to keep busy and even huger masses of billions of dollars to make. "THEY" would not be making those billions of dollars if folks did not NEED to buy new gadgets every few years. So...on with the rat race...gotta buy a new gadget. Your turn.

What I did was to buy the cheapest chromebook out there. Doesn't do as much as windows, but sure puts a gripe on the bazillionaires who hoped I'd buy an even more expensive gadget. It's important to make sure you help the bazillionaires in this world to make as few more dollars as possible.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have dial-up at home.... I wouldn't notice if anything was wrong with the computer or not. It freezes up, goes into sleep mode in the middle of downloads, is so slow that I can brew a pot of coffee between the 'open TEG' click and being able to actually see anything... Many times I click on something that had actually 'moved' but just hadn't moved on my screen yet, and who knows where I might end up once I start scrolling .... :rolleyes: Games, videos & movies just simply don't exist at home.
So most of my web browsing happens in little fits and starts while at work (while on hold, waiting for a report to print, etc). 'They' replace/upgrade/fiddle with our gadgets every couple of months here... so I guess when I'm here, I'm part of them 'theys' :D

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, Cane, you have my sympathy. We had dialup for the longest time, and I kept a book on the computer desk to read while a page was loading. Then we went to satellite dish, and now we are on a cell phone type dealy, which I know nothing about.

Without a computer geek for a son I would still be getting a lot of reading time in. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hopefully that will fix it. My mouse is *possessed* and I need to go buy a new one. It double-clicks everything!

Something else that makes things run all quirky on your computer is if you are low on RAM (running too many things at once, exceeding capacity) or if you are approaching the limits of your harddrive's capacity. I am about 3 GB from maxing mine out and things have been slow and touchy for awhile. I've been begging my DH (who has one of his degrees in computers) to please come upgrade it for me...but he never seems to have time! Oh well, I guess it will blow up and I'll just have to buy a new (& nicer!) one. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How is that *possessed* mouse, Journey?

I replaced the mouse and things are better but this wasn't just a problem with the little rodent. I'm about to get off Firefox and see if the computer can continue functioning okay on Chrome. Hate to do that - all my bookmarks are in Firefox :rolleyes:.

Yes, the mouse double clicks. In fact, it "punches right thru" and clicks! Like I can have a drop-down window and click something there. It will punch thru that and click a link on the webpage!

At least the scroll works better & more consistently with the new mouse. I'm wondering why I had to use a USB . . . umm, what do we call these . . . tiny thing but it isn't for storage so not a thumb drive. Antenna? Anyway, the last mouse was a replacement for a wired mouse but it was wireless. It didn't have anything to leave plugged into my very few USB ports.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Recently my wife bought a Samsung lap top . At which point I found out that I could no longer type , and when I correct the spelling the correction shows up elsewhere , etc. . :barnie On Thanksgiving, my son cured that problem as he said that it came with Windows 8 :th , he did some majic , then removed some programs, switched explorer to chrome and wala I can now type again and other problems were cured. :weee

Latest posts