Confederate Rose

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I bought a house in Oct. 06 and there is a beautiful confederate rose tree (bush?) in a very bad place.

I want to get rid of it! Obviously, I have tried sawing it down twice. LOL

It is right next to the house, so fire is out of the question.

I tried digging the roots up--broke my shovel. (no joke) Besides that, I think the root ball is at least two feet in diameter. It is going to leave a huge hole.

I am not technically opposed to the use of herbicides (natural or otherwise,) but foolishly, after the first time I cut the tree down, I planted some herbs and a pineapple bush in the bed where the tree is. There is also a miniature gardenia and some ornamental grass or something growing there. I'd like to save my herbs if possible.

I really don't hate this tree, but it grows up into the eaves of the house, making a damp spot under there. Plus it attracts these vile little white flies/gnats that swarm around everything. And it is attractive to wasps and bees (not something we want around where we are barbecuing and playing.)

Anything I can do?

Cassandra

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well, since you cant kill it. try just keeping it trimmed up. Make some soapy water to spray on for the white flies. They are pretty when they bloom.

I heard that if you pour boiling water on weeds it will kill them. I wonder if you do that to the roots what it would do.
Good luck
Tink

ozark hen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
try carving/drilling a hole in the thickest stem and pour salt in it. Salt kills weeds so maybe??????????????

jmk3482

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've seen products that you apply directly to the cut stump and it's supposed to eat it's way down and kill the whole thing. I used some of it to kill some wild grapes that kept coming back near my house. I think it worked. Look in the herbacide section of your local garden store. There's usually something called stump killer or stump remover. Then just cut the bush down to the ground and apply the herbicide to the cut area of the stump. I found the stuff at walmart.

If you google stump removal chemical, you can find some helpful sites. I read a lot of people suggest drilling holes in the stump before applying the chemical.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. Good things to try (on this three and other things I'm trying to get rid of). I will be looking for that chemical, too.

Cassandra

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Keep it trimmed close to the ground. It will eventually die.