confession time....

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I traded work for a used leather couch that I gave kid#1 for his apartment, and traded work a few years ago for an elliptical. That one was regrettable, because even though it was a spendy item when my client bought it, I traded way too much labor for it.
I did end up being able to sell it last year to pay for most of my new truck tires.

You probably didn't even need the elliptical after all of that hard work! ;)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn - I've also learned to question marketing. You can spend a lot of money on something, but that doesn't necessarily make it high quality. Case in point - I recently tested a bunch of deshed conditioners by comparing my dogs normal shed rate to his shed rate after using a deshedding conditioner. I was surprised that some of the top deshedding conditioners didn't seem to work at all, where others eliminated shedding almost completely. Price didn't turn out to be a factor. The cheapest and the most expensive performed the very best, where the middle of the road price range wise didn't work at all.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree price isn't only factor, ie-highest isn't always the best. If something is way cheaper, buyer beware! Had to buy UTV for work. Almost bought a brand that is famous for mowers (heavy, well built), it used a Honda engine-again quality. They used a Detroit transmission-again quality. & it was $1,000+ cheaper. Didn't. Glad now as parts are impossible to get for it.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dad also grew up durning the depression, as kids if we wanted to throw something out we had to hide it in the trash. Like Journey said " to be thrify VS lack of time, working 7 days a week, my time is very limited. What I do is the barter system, I love it, I have about 10 business I barter with.

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dad also grew up durning the depression, as kids if we wanted to throw something out we had to hide it in the trash. Like Journey said " to be thrify VS lack of time, working 7 days a week, my time is very limited. What I do is the barter system, I love it, I have about 10 business I barter with.
FYI... the Senate issued a law for the IRS to consider bartered items as income and has to be reported as such on your annual tax returns. I would consult with a reputable CPA regarding this. :idunno

freedhardwoods

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I buy lots of my tools and machines at auctions and yard sales. Here's a couple (out of many) examples.

I got my big grinder for $5 at an auction. It has a 2" shaft and weighs over 200lbs. It came with 3 extra wheels. New wheels cost over $100 each.

I got my welder for $25. The comparable model today cost $300

Grinder.jpg Grinder B.jpg WELDER.jpg

Latest posts