Container Gardening

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My hubby's grandmother uses these on her patio to grow all kinds of veggies - tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, eggplant, green onions, lettuce, etc.

I've only grown potatoes one time, so I'm not the most experienced here, but I have been reading up on them in hopes of planting some soon. I wonder if they'd work if you started out with the container only half full of soil, planted your seeded potatoes, then added more soil as the plants grew up, providing more root space for the potatoes to grow??? Those of you who have grown potatoes, do you think that'd work?

Settin'_Pretty

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Backyard Buddies said:
My hubby's grandmother uses these on her patio to grow all kinds of veggies - tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, eggplant, green onions, lettuce, etc.

I've only grown potatoes one time, so I'm not the most experienced here, but I have been reading up on them in hopes of planting some soon. I wonder if they'd work if you started out with the container only half full of soil, planted your seeded potatoes, then added more soil as the plants grew up, providing more root space for the potatoes to grow??? Those of you who have grown potatoes, do you think that'd work?
I think the ideal way to try potatoes in one of those plastic containers like pictured would be to use several and cut the bottom out of the ones placed on top.
Here's how you would do it;
Fill the bottom one about 3/4 full of dirt and plant your taters.
I think 4 plants would be about right.
As they grow add more dirt.
Stack the bottomless container on top and add more dirt.
Continue adding dirt and containers as they grow.
Similar to the old tire growing method.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Settin'_Pretty said:
Fill the bottom one about 3/4 full of dirt and plant your taters.
I think 4 plants would be about right.
As they grow add more dirt.
Stack the bottomless container on top and add more dirt.
Continue adding dirt and containers as they grow.
Similar to the old tire growing method.
That's a great idea! I was thinking of doing something similar, but with boards and tall garden stakes, adding more boards and dirt as the plants grew. But, your idea may be easier. I know that the idea is to simply remove the upper part of the container and harvest away. Doing it with the plastic containers would serve the same purpose, plus be contained nicely. :D

Latest posts