Contrary Tomatoes

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Sorry, but San Marzano tomatoes haven't done well for me, so I won't be growing them next year. I AM interested in the most flavorful cherries, even though I ALWAYS get cherry volunteers every year, kinda like weeds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you , I've had one of the best tomato seasons ever - late but very productive.

What seemed to fall a little short was flavor. Surely the plants were large enough for them to put what is needed in the fruit. There was lots of sunshine, which the plants seem to appreciate. Maybe this exceptionally dry year encouraged too much irrigation.

Mild tomato flavor is something DW likes. She continues with her dehydrating of slices! Mild isn't something I dislike. No. And, I'm not disappointed that my Bloody Butchers and Supersweet 100s are milder than usual. I'm happy that trying to please DW pushed me years ago to grow yellow and pink varieties. They are different. That's good just in itself.

I'm not sure about myself. This must be the 4th or 5th year that I have grown Yellow Jellybean. What is it I like so well about these things? I think that I finally figured out that it is because they taste like a red cherry. They do! A very good red cherry ... ;)

I suppose that I'm not giving much slack to Sweet Treats on their 1st year trial run. I continue asking myself, "what's so special about these things :hu?" Pretty in Pink: I all but insisted that DW give me an opinion on these nice, mild, hugely productive fruits. Maybe, we won't bother with them again but, Wow!

Nearly all of the cherries that I have grown in recent years have been hybrids. Except that Coyote likes to grow as a volunteer and pouts when it is pampered in the greenhouse, I have been consistently disappointed in the flavor, etc. of volunteers. Not hybrids? Don't hesitate to try them!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
a tomato that tastes like a red cherry... hmm... but it is yellow? @digitS' i think you might be pulling my leg... if it tastes like a tart cherry i'd be even more interested. at about $6/lb the dried tart cherries around here are fantastic and i love to eat them and also they are great in chocolate chip/pecan cookies.

Latest posts