Control measures for an out of control wisteria?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a gorgeous bloom Kassaundra. Even up here wisteria can overpower the arbors they grow on and become massive.
You asked why I wouldn't use salt and my answer is - I'm not sure. Hows that for an informed position? :p
I guess it could work, and as April M. pointed out, water does not move very far laterally through the soil...I still don't think it would be my first choice.

I don't know this, but it seems like for the salt to be effective you would need to wet it after the initial application. ???

Since you described how it has pretty much started colonizing all over, if it were in my yard I would get a root barrier around the mama plant. Like yesterday.

For sure I would do as Lesa suggested and at least cut the runners off from the main plant, but thats not going to stop the ones which have rooted and popped up. Whatever you end up doing, it sounds like an ambitious project

edited because I can't type in the dark without my glasses. ack lees not very whale!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think your right about root barrier being the best solution long term. Yes I am working on removing the rooted runners as best I can. The root barrier is going to be more money not sure how (when) that will fit into the budget, I'll have to check prices and how much linear feet I would need to encircle the plant. I was trying to think of a less expensive quicker to implement solution, that would work for now, and then be my back up for after the root barrier.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think root barriers are you rbest choice. It may be a battle that you wage for the rest of your life, learning tricks to keep it at bay. I'm askin around and no one has a solution.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure makes it hard to hate!! Those are beautiful blooms! My flowers (when I get them) don't look so tight. Just lovely!

Latest posts