cooked up a few turnips and a daikon radish

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'd never tried cooking a radish before, but this one was right next to the turnips so i figured i'd give it a shot. not too bad. a watery version of a turnip with a little bit of a bite. add butter and sour cream and mash 'em all together and you'd never know it was there.

i have another 30 or 40 large radishes (the size of my arm) and some turnips the size of a basketball to chop down before winter. i'm not sure i'll eat them, but the worms will if i don't. my brother may take some of the radishes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My tablet showed this title as "cooked up a few turnips ..."

Since I decided years ago that I don't like turnips, it took me awhile to venture to this thread. Radish!? Oh, okay :).

If you pick up a Vietnamese sandwich, you might very well find the raw daikon julienne(d) in there. Is that the right culinary term?

Anyway, here's my hack for a water chestnut substitution in a stir-fry: regular, round radish ... probably, daikon would be fine. I like kim chi with daikon but that isn't cooked.

This year, I tried a Japanese turnip green in the garden. It occurred to me that I have probably never eaten a turnip green! Weeelll, things didn't go so great. The fleabeetles hit them so hard that I couldn't keep them off and the plants nearly died! They did come back. Bok choy is more closely related but the greens tasted so much like a mustard that I'm not sure if I could have distinguished the two.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My tablet showed this title as "cooked up a few turnips ..."

Since I decided years ago that I don't like turnips, it took me awhile to venture to this thread. Radish!? Oh, okay :).

If you pick up a Vietnamese sandwich, you might very well find the raw daikon julienne(d) in there. Is that the right culinary term?

Anyway, here's my hack for a water chestnut substitution in a stir-fry: regular, round radish ... probably, daikon would be fine. I like kim chi with daikon but that isn't cooked.

This year, I tried a Japanese turnip green in the garden. It occurred to me that I have probably never eaten a turnip green! Weeelll, things didn't go so great. The fleabeetles hit them so hard that I couldn't keep them off and the plants nearly died! They did come back. Bok choy is more closely related but the greens tasted so much like a mustard that I'm not sure if I could have distinguished the two.

Steve

i have a friend who gardens in FL and they eat a lot of turnip greens. i tried them once, but because i live with someone who can't abide the smell of cooking cabbage or many of the other related veggies, it is so rare i get a chance to cook them in any form. let me say i just prefer the cooked root much more. the greens didn't appeal to me. i do like swiss chard and spinach either cooked or raw and of course cabbage. and saurkraut. yum...

the radishes i mostly grow for their flowers and the sprouts. i really like the first few leaves fresh. they make such a huge root that they are used around here in a blend of seeds as a field cover crop to help break up the clay and i can surely see why. and they grow quickly. i could probably get three crops from them a season if i wanted extra fodder or worm food.

buckwheat is another fast growing flowering plant that is nice to use as a cover crop. the deer sure love it too.

whatever my brother doesn't want of the radishes the worms will get. :)

Latest posts