Coop....

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So... I'm using this as a prototype to build my coop, except I'm making it 4x8.

Do you think that I should put in more ventilation because of it being so hot and humid? Easter Eggers are cold hardy... so I don't think I need insulation. But would I need to cover the ventilation holes in the winter? Average lowest temp is about 33. We rarely get snow... maybe a time or two a year. (And it's like the world is coming to an end when it does... haha)

***Edited because I messed up.. oops!

bluelacedredhead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Insulation works to Cool in summer as well as retain heat in winter so yes, it would be a good idea to insulate unless you are putting in Central Air?? ;) Your winter temps aren't low enough that they need winter insulation, but your summer temps can be deadly. Insulation is becoming expensive to buy. Why not look on Craigslist or Freecycle for someone else's extra.

I'm not sure what you mean by covering the insulation? You don't need to drywall, but 6 mil plastic and then plywood or OSB is adequate. I do find however, that OSB rots from poultry litter. Plywood, although more expensive lasts years beyond what OSB does. Learned this the hard way when the Building Inspector demanded that we use OSB for the walls and floor on an extension. A couple of years later, I fell through the floor where it had rotted from water and chicken litter. Then the walls began to disintegrate. The older part of the building with plywood was still in great condition some 20 years after being built.

If you don't cover the insulation, you may find that the birds will pick at it? Mine even found a string attached to door insulation tubing and unraveled all of it. :(

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickens wear a down coat all year long. They can handle cold a whole lot better than they can handle heat. They could sleep in trees at 33 degrees as long as those trees are kind of sheltered from the wind. When I was growing up, we had chickens that slept in trees in a sheltered valley in a lot colder weather than that. But dont plan for the average day or night. Plan for the worst day or night. Thats when you might have problems. I dont know how cold it occasionally gets where you are. Thats a lot more important than average.

The danger from cold is frostbite, not then freezing to death. If you keep a coop closed up real tight in the winter, the humidity form their breathing and their poop can lead to frostbite. You need good ventilation in the winter to get that moisture out. The ammonia from their poop can lead to breathing problems too, so again you need ventilation. I think you meant to say cover the ventilation in the winter, not the insulation. But do not cover the ventilation up high.

Heat is your enemy, not cold. Id provide all the ventilation I could. With that design, Id leave an opening under the overhang on the sloped sides and cover that with hardware cloth to keep critters like raccoons out. You are using 2x4s for the roof supports so I would leave at least the 3-1/2 depth between the rafters open on the sloped sides. That should stay open all year long.

If you can, you could leave an opening on the ends, but the 2x4s supporting the roof will probably get in your way. That should not be necessary with the other openings.

Id also add a window at roosting level or lower that can be opened in the summer. You might be able to get a window cheap from Craigslist or maybe you have one of those recycle home building materials places around, but windows are not that hard to make. Cut a hole in the wall between two studs and frame that out top and bottom. Cover that with wire. In the winter you can either put a sheet of Plexiglas over that if you want the light, or build a shutter you can close.

Chickens normally like to roost as high as they can. Make sure your roost is higher than anything else you dont want them roosting, like the nest boxes. They poop a lot while sleeping and you dont want those deposits in your nest boxes.

For 8 hens, two nest boxes will be enough. You can build three if you wish, but you might be able to save the money on materials, though it is very possible you will have to buy that much material anyway. Its not a big deal. But maybe you could save a bit of money there.

That shows a ramp for them to get into the coop. You really dont need one if it is that close to the ground, they can just jump/fly up. They really can, even as pretty young chicks. Ive seen two week old chicks fly two feet vertical and three feet horizontal to get to the roost when Mama told them to. But it does not hurt to give them a step, like maybe lay a cinder block there or use something you have laying around. Or just build something out of scrap. Chickens really dont care how pretty it is. It might be important to you, especially if you have neighbors that want to keep property values up, but pretty is your concept. The chickens really dont care.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure if Patwithchickens, ventilation page is still up at BYC, but if it is- I consider it important reading. Really, there is nothing more important than ventilation for your chickens comfort, and health. Here in upstate NY, I don't even close the windows until it is below 30 degrees- so I don't think cold will be an issue for you at all. Is it possible to locate the coop in a shaded area? In general, chickens are very forgiving creatures- you are bound to make a few mistakes, but it won't kill them! My poor chickens went through a few adventures, while I the learning curve was happening! Good luck! Enjoy your chickens!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I've seen it get to about 20-25 here before... but that's very unusual. We still wear sweatshirts till it's about 55! :lol:

I was thinking of actually making the top 4-6 inches all ventilation, but I think I like the idea of the big windows better. I could put a couple pieces of trim up there to hold a sheet of plexiglass in the winter if it gets too cold, but I might make it into something I can raise and lower to keep the rain out of it... kinda like a big shutter. Do you think that if I cut a hole into the side and used some hinges to attach it back to the coop at the top and then sort of prop it open 6-9 inches it would give them enough ventilation?

We're not running electric out there, so the only AC will be provided by Carolina Ocean Breeze. :lol: There' usually a pretty steady breeze around here tho, even if it is light. It does get pretty warm around here tho.. so I am kinda worried about that... but not enough to run electric out there. :p

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
33 is not cold enough to need to close up the ventilation. As long as you have enough hens to keep each other warm.
nachoqtpie said:
So... I'm using this as a prototype to build my coop, except I'm making it 4x8.

Do you think that I should put in more ventilation because of it being so hot and humid? Easter Eggers are cold hardy... so I don't think I need insulation. But would I need to cover the ventilation holes in the winter? Average lowest temp is about 33. We rarely get snow... maybe a time or two a year. (And it's like the world is coming to an end when it does... haha)

***Edited because I messed up.. oops!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And we will have 8 total chickens. 7 hens and a roo. I'm considering just letting them come and go into the coop as they please, and having perches inside as well as outside the coop. It's going to be completely enclosed on the sides and top, and we've not had any problems with our ducks, which are in the same boat, but a little different because they only have a dog house for a coop, which they never use anyways. I'm sure that will change when they start laying eggs. (at least I hope!)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had the 8 from your other thread. I saw that your coldest ever is (-)2 F. My lowest overnight winter temperatures regularly get lower than that, though not as cold as some people. I really don't think you have a lot to worry about from the cold. They need protection from the heat, not the cold. Cold is not your enemy. You don't want cold breezes hitting them when they sleep in the winter, so put your roosts low enough that the breezes from you winter ventilation passes over their heads.

I like the idea of a window cover that hinges at the top and is held open. That will stop rain and still give good ventilation. But there is nothing wrong with doing that plus providing even more ventilation at the top of the coop. As long as a breeze is not hitting them directly when it is really cold, they will do fine. It is really really difficult to give them too much ventilation.

My coop window is a regular house window I had extra. It just opens up; no rain protection. With plenty of ventilation, a little rain getting in is not a horrible thing. It will dry out, though you don't want a wet coop. A wet coop can be a disease prone coop. Put your window on the side rain is least likely to come from and provide as much ventilation as you can stand.

Latest posts