Corn and Pole Beans.

mamaspider

Leafing Out
Reaction score
the beans grow up the corn, and the squash (and yes, pumpkins would be fine) grow along the ground.

don't know about beans choking the corn... might be you need a faster maturing variety? no clue!

j

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used blue lake 273 pole beans I believe and used i forget what super short season corn... last year was a bad corn year. It was a cool wet summer. Pole beans on some poles wet up all 6 feet of the pole, draped over and crawled along the top of the poles no problem though.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!!

Good luck with your growing, Silkie. I know that when we have beans that go somewhere we dont want, we bring them back up and twirl them up the trellis.

wooden_pony

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, do the pumpkins grow UP the corn stalks?! I thought it grew along the ground,lol. I would only do the mini ones if I was growing them that way.
Yeah the mini jack pumpkins grow UP the corn. They do fine since the pumpkins are so small. We grow them for the kids to bring to school and share with their friends. One plant per corn stalk.

Could it be because the corn I grow is the 64 day short season junk that takes 100 days and only get to about 4 feet tall?
Yes silkie that was more then likely your problem. I am able to grow the long season corn so it gets over 6 ft tall. I only plant one bean seed to a stalk of corn. It does choke off some of the leaves but I have never had the beans choke the corn out.

You can do more then one bean or pumpkin per corn stalk sometimes we will do three but it becomes a mess. So that is why I stick with one per corn stalk.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wooden_pony said:
Oh, do the pumpkins grow UP the corn stalks?! I thought it grew along the ground,lol. I would only do the mini ones if I was growing them that way.
Yeah the mini jack pumpkins grow UP the corn. They do fine since the pumpkins are so small. We grow them for the kids to bring to school and share with their friends. One plant per corn stalk.

Could it be because the corn I grow is the 64 day short season junk that takes 100 days and only get to about 4 feet tall?
Yes silkie that was more then likely your problem. I am able to grow the long season corn so it gets over 6 ft tall. I only plant one bean seed to a stalk of corn. It does choke off some of the leaves but I have never had the beans choke the corn out.

You can do more then one bean or pumpkin per corn stalk sometimes we will do three but it becomes a mess. So that is why I stick with one per corn stalk.
Wow! That is pretty awesome! I'll have to try that maybe, it sounds fun. We use all kinds of pumpkins and gourds for fall decorations around the house, so it should be fun to plant some little ones along with the larger ones Im going to plant. Thanks again, Lisa.

Latest posts