corn is coming up!!

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted my corn last Saturday and when I checked them this morning I have some that popped up overnight, the soaking rain we had overnight must of worked its magic! :weee

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! Corn up in March? Amazing weather we're having. That's not a sweet corn, right? That would be too weird!

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I need to check on mine. I also planted last Saturday. And yes, so lucky, mine's sweet corn. The middle of March is the right time to plant it here in Texas.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Lucky, I'm in South Carolina. I met an old farmer at our local farmer exchange feed store last weekend, he sparked a conversation while looking at some strawberry plants, he said we're having a blackberry winter, I asked what is blackberry winter since I've never heard the term, he said, this heat so early in the spring is not right and said careful with your planting we could still have cold snaps. So I asked him when a good time to plant corn was, he said, that's what I'm here for, I'm planting 5o pounds today. And here I was thinking that the 4 ounces of corn in my hand was a lot of corn..LOL. He said he was going to wait a while for his warm weather crops like tomatoes and such, I told him I wait till after the full moon phase in April and he said yup, that's when I plant mine also. I always try to listen to the old farmers advice, they're usually right... :) Btw, I don't know the name of the corn I planted but its the bi-color type... :tools

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, with the unusual weather we are having, the sweet corn planted now could do great. And you are south of me, and certainly Mama Chicken is way south of me. Some of the stuff that I learned when I was in the business years ago sticks with me, and some doesn't :old I do remember that people were discouraged from planting the new (for then) super-sweet corn seed till the soil was warmer, because it was not as robust as the regular sweet corn. That seed was really wrinkled and misshapen, indicating high sugar content. But if the farmer at the seed store is planting it now, then I'd put my money on him!:thumbsup

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've not yet planted. Still the soil is too cold.