Corn is Dying

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I went outside this morning to water the plants and found the corn plants (they were only a little over an inch tall, the others are barely above the soil) wilted over. I felt the dirt they were in and it was dry and a bone. My fiance claims they were watered yesterday. I immediately gave them some water in hopes they'd come back to life, but I think they are gone. I still have some corn *seeds* to plant, but I was really hoping I'd get through this season without killing anything. :(

redhen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
my sympathy soybean....i'm sure i'll be in the same boat soon!..well..if i can even get more than 4 sprouts that is!!..good luck...Wendy

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If corn is bad enough off that it is wilting then you might be to late but it is hard to say. If the watering helps it (tomorrow) then you might get a soil test done. if the water doesn't help it and you decide to plant more then you might get a soil test done. (See the pattern?) I would guess that you are probably lacking in something in your soil. Good possibility that it is nitrogen. Hope the water helps!!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I didn't realize that they were planted in containers. Moisture is probably all your problem is then. it doesn't take much at all for a container to get bone dry and you to loose everything in it. Are you planning on growing them all the way in a container? Maybe try a water pan underneath it if you can water from the bottom. Good Luck!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
it usually comes back pretty quickly if its just a little dry, one of the most important things is nitrogen in the soil. Corn needs alot of nutrients, hot days, cooler nights and lots of water.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They make a granular product that absorbs water and slowly lets it back out. It works great in containers and planters. I can't think of the name of it but, it comes in small packets or a small container of it.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Perlite or Vermiculite? If thats what you are thinking about then ProMix already has Perlite in it. Little white "rocks" or something like that. I only know what Perlite and Vermiculite is because both are using for incubating snake eggs.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Soybean, it will usually spring back with no problem but I would follow the suggestions above and put a tray underneath to help retain moisture. I wouldn't add anything to the soil just yet. Remember that containers do dry out a lot quicker. If the corn dies, replant the dead ones and you'll have them come up in no time.

You might also want to mulch with a couple layers of newspaper. That would help keep moisture in.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Didn't know you could grow corn in containers. My first thought was to ask how deep you sowed the corn but since they are in pots, that negates my question. When planting in the ground, I try to stick them at least an inch and a half under so the seed stays moist and roots can go deep so I only have to water twice a week in the middle of summer... then again. I am in the PNW and it likes to be pretty moist out here.

Latest posts