Corn on the cob

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I prefer to blanch the corn on the cob, and remove the kernels for freezing. It really stays delicious that way...

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Details? (for the non-food-preservation-initiated among us)
I tried 'blanching' once. When I thawed the corn I had nasty mush. But the chickens really appreciated the frozen treats last summer.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The secret to blanching is to quickly cool them in ice water once you take them out. If you don't lower the temp fast enough, they'll keep on cooking.

Use a wire basket strainer that you can dip into the rapidly boiling water. Give them 3 minutes, then quickly pull them out and immerse in the ice water until they are cold throughout. I also like to drain water off the veggies as much as possible before packing them for the freezer.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
The secret to blanching is to quickly cool them in ice water once you take them out. If you don't lower the temp fast enough, they'll keep on cooking.

Use a wire basket strainer that you can dip into the rapidly boiling water. Give them 3 minutes, then quickly pull them out and immerse in the ice water until they are cold throughout. I also like to drain water off the veggies as much as possible before packing them for the freezer.
that is the key to any type of blanching... ice bath when we freeze corn we use our 102 qt ice chest to chill them in. and like you said drain thoroughly,
we use our vacuum sealer and put 4-6 ears per bag biggest key when using it is make sure there is no water where the heater element is other wise you will get a leak.
we make our own bags seams that the per made you had too double seal them.

dw mother would wrap each ear in parchment paper and then vacuum

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
a propane turkey cooker w pot with strainer works great if you have one....

that way once you throw the corn in you can ramp up the heat quickly to maintain a roiling boil for that 3 minutes.

with corn the fresher the better.
the sugars in the corn will start turning into starch in a matter of days.

and before placing the corn into a ice bath drain it first, then into the bath.
if you have a septic system let the water cool before letting go down, if not it will kill all the good microbes near the top.