Corn troubles

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hmmm, mine are also getting the silks but are way to small to pick. There are a few ears per stalk, but they are not the size they should be. I guess I'll wait and see, it could end up being a wash.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bad year for corn up here too... mine are about 6 inches tall, with the exception of the ones I planted in a hot week in Late may just before a freeze that killed off my second sowing.

Starch = old corn. I pull down the husk on an ear and pierce a kernel. If it is milky , pick and eat right away. My guess is that since silks come out from the bottom kernales first, they got fertilized but something happened to the weather as the top ear silks emerged and they never got polinated.

The days on corn don't really work for most areas. I plant 64 day early corn, because it will take 90-100 days to ripen. The 22 day after silk thing works only in hot areas similar to ideal corn growing conditions... Takes about 30-40 here after silking. But our day highs are in the 70's... and corn only really grows in front of my eyes when days hit the unusual 80F or so.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Silkiechicken :) I appreciate the info....I will go out today and try to figure out my next move.
For the record the family thought the corn was fine, so it obviously was not too starchy. Maybe it was just me :)

Latest posts