Couple of Questions

lilac321

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I found your board b/c my hubby posts over the BYC! I have a couple of garden questions if someone can help.

First, our tomato plants are growing exceedingly well, however as the tomatos are starting to ripen into a lovely red, the bottoms are getting brown and rotten. Any reason for this? We've only had two ripen, but would like to nip this issue in the bud if we can figure it out.

Second, our snap beans did really well until just a couple days ago. All of a sudden, the smaller beans are turning yellow or appear dried out. We've harvested a good crop up until this point.

Thanks much!:)

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Let me be the first one to welcome you. I cannot answer the bean question, but I looked up your tomato question in my garden magazine, which has a big article on tomatos this month. Did you say the rotten area is on the "bottom" of the tomato? My magazine says that sounds like blossom end rot, and it can be caused by fluctuations in moisture supplies. It goes on to say, "Uneven water levels can cause a calcium deficiency in developing fruit, even if the soil has enough calcium. To solve this problem, mulch plants, maintain consistent moisture levels, and avoid heavy use of nitrogen fertilizers." I've been advised by others on here to work in some crushed eggshells around the base of my tomato plants to give them a calcium boost. Happy gardening.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What blurose said -- it's blossom end rot, and most likely from fluctuations in water supply (calcium deficiency in the soil is less likely but possible). Mulch helps a lot.

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that fluctuations in water supply, i.e. you maybe let 'em dry out a bit too hard, may be the problem with the beans too? Otherwise I dunno, I grow tomatoes more often than beans, sorry :p but I am sure others will be able to help.

Pat

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep, blossom end rot...add some calcium to the soil and watch your watering habits. Toms like to be evenly moist, they don't like to dry out and then get flooded :)
As for the beans, have you had any strange weather fluctuations in the last 10 days? Did you fertilize the beans?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
excessive water on the beans will do the same thing. It will start to cause the plants to turn yellow as well. Once they get dry enough to work it give them a good tilling and then maybe a little fert.

As for the tomatoes like the others have said you need to add calcium (pellitized lime). I would sprinkle about 1-2 cups depending on plant size around your toms. This should cure your bottom rot in a couple days. You can stir it in if you like but it won't really speed up the process.

Hobby

Latest posts