Cover crops

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
BB - I'm definitely no expert, but I know that you can use cover crops to put nutrients back into the soil, prevent erosion, and choke out weeds. But I'm still having trouble figuring out what the best option would be. I've found a few websites that sell it: www.groworganic.com, www.seedsofchange.com, but it's hard to figure out what would be the best option. :|

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
All the publications I have read refer to cover crops as green manure. Its a way of amending your soil while keeping it covered and moist. The root systems that die in a winter kill cover keep the soil loose and aerated, and the foliage returns nitrogen to the soil. There are some cover crops that winter kill and some that need to be tilled in, some that pull nitrogen while they are growing, and some that you grow your veggies right into and use as a living mulch.

As to the specifics as to what type does each of these things best, you might find that at your library or online.

I bet Tutter could point you to a source! :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, if you've visited the SS site lately, I would believe anything is possible! They're posting recipes using human breast milk over there! :p

Latest posts