Cow panel trellis

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want to put in a cow panel trellis arch to grow cucumbers next year. I know they are 16' long, but how wide are they? and how many cucumber plants per side? TIA, Melissa

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think they are 4' high. Space your cukes 1 every foot. I wouldn't plant any on the backside because they'll be too shaded by the others. Cattle panels make wonderful trellises and especially with cukes because there are no tiny holes for them to grow into and you can get your hand through easily to pick them. They look nice and tidy too. :)

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So four plants per trellis, .........now I get what you were talking about, the underside, no I agree to shady, but what about the other end? So may be eight plants per trellis?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry, let me clear that up. I do mine long ways...16 foot in length by 4 foot high. They are pretty heavy. I have to have my husband help me to move it. I don't think you could hold them up the long way if you tried! :p So that would give you 16 plants per trellis. Definitely enough for making pickles! :cool:

Yeah, you could do it as an arch too, 4 plants on either end. They'd get good sun and airflow that way too.

ijon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
They work great. I tried them this year.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you're in an area that allows open burning they are also easy to clear off at the end of the season. just toss them on the fire and burn the old vines off. I used to do that with pea vines in Oklahoma. Here in San Diego they freak out over open burning.

Latest posts