Cracking almonds with a helper, who wasnt much help. *new pic on pg 2*

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well Well Well,

My buddy gave me some almonds the other day. So today, after filling a 22 gallon tote with walnuts, I decided to crack them and see what I could get. Last semester, I hatched 16 Cornish X chicks out of eggs my teacher got directly from Foster Farms. I kept 6, processed 2 and 4 got to live. We have one who we've named Chickzilla. He's the friendliest chicken I've ever met. He will sit on the grill out front and watch the TV through the window, and its not uncommon to open the door and find him there trying to get in. Anyways, he noticed me cracking nuts today! He stood at my foot for a while, and after I gave him two almonds he decided standing by my foot wasnt working anymore, so he did this!

ShawntesBirthday143.jpg

He sat there with his face right next to each nut hoping to grab it before me. When I wouldnt give him any, he snuck onto the railing to my right and started scarfing down the ones I had already cracked before I even had time to react. He never gave up so I finally did, Im going to have to finish them when he's in the coop! :lol:

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a great story and one happy Roo!
Spoiled rotten! I like that! "If we must keep them, we should make them as happy as they can be!" Famous quote by injunjoe, 10/25/2009

Thanks for sharing!

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My gosh that guy looks like he could bruise you just by sitting on you... What was his name again, Chickzilla? LOL very fitting!

He does not show the traditional Rooster feathering. Is he still young?

Those feet on him are huge! You know what they say about big feet! LOL

Big Feet means a mighty Big Heart! :gig

Thanks for sharing!

Ron

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mine chase my car when i drive up to get any pecans i run over and crack. then they play keep away.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Everyone!

He's a very spoiled rooster. My brother was eating a snowcone on the porch ones and Chickzilla sat next to him and my brother wound up sharing it with him! He's a favorite here, everyone loves him. Except for my sister, who thinks he's out to get her. :lol:

Greensage, he is HEAVY. It does not feel good when he jumps on you and you arent expecting it, haha. The photo isnt very clear, but he does have pointy sickle and hackle feathers. He's a young guy though.

Bert, mine followed me all day hoping I'd step on a walnut! They love when I run over the nuts with my cars.

Thanks again everyone!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey Jordan good to see you! How is your grandmother?
I love that picture. He is a big guy, how did you get him to live so long?
Usually those cornish x eat themselves to death and have heart attacks, or their legs go bad.
Its tough to eat those friendly ones huh?
You should make that your new avitar if it will fit.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi, Natalie! It's great seeing you as well. My grandma is doing well, thanks for asking. Her neuropathy can be a pain but she's a strong lady and doesn't let it keep her down. We were actually talking about making a "mini orchard" yesterday on one side of her property. We're fruit addicts, so we like to dream! :D

As for Chickzilla, I have no idea! Lol. I give them feed, but usually only once a day. They have free range of our property as well, but he's the only Cornish X that actually leaves the pasture. He can fly up to the top of our 4.5 ft tall fence too when he sees me walking with bread, lol. It's really difficult to eat the friendly ones, that's why he's still alive! :lol:

Latest posts