Craters in my Asian pears

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Last winter was one of the most severe winters in my Zone 5 area ever. I had no peaches or cherries, which had fruited well in prior years, but I had numerous Asian pears on a tree that previously had been an outstanding performer. This year, however, there were lots of fruit, but almost all of the pears were severely cratered, or dimpled. The taste was ok but trying to peel them was next to impossible.

Other than the extremely cold winter, the only other changes were a first time application of dormant oil to the tree a couple of weeks before the buds swelled, and higher than usual spring participation. Any theories about why the shape of the fruit changed so dramatically? What should I expect next year?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to give you the first "like"!! I can only say that this past year was weird on lots of vegetables and fruits. My stupid pear tree was blooming two weeks ago. I took a calendar out in the yard and read the tree the riot act. :lol:

Next year HAS to be better!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I Know nothing about Aisan pears,but want to plant a few. Are they self pollinating or do you need another tree? Are they grown on their own roots? Whats id the best tasting for zone 5 ? Sorrry for the questions no one I know grows them.

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I Know nothing about Aisan pears,but want to plant a few. Are they self pollinating or do you need another tree? Are they grown on their own roots? Whats id the best tasting for zone 5 ? Sorrry for the questions no one I know grows them.

I bought a semi dwarf from Stark Brothers several years ago but I don't remember which variety. It produced fruit the 3rd year and has been going strong for about 6 years now. It self pollinates and produces numerous fruit with few spot. Asian pears cost $1 each in the grocery and mine are every bit as tasty, although smaller. The literature says to plant 2 for better pollination which I did 3 years ago but the deer have chewed it so bad that I only get a few blooms on it.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Probably just another 'effect' of our crazy winter.
Lets hope that this one will be better.

By the way -
sSig_welcome4.gif
to TEG!!!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have both regular and Asian pear trees. With the Asian pear I usually have plenty of huge fruit with little insect damage. I also use a dormant oil in March or so. This year I didn't see any pears at all -- that is until my dog brought a nearly perfect Bartlett over for my attention. It was delicious, and would have been perfect if not for the teeth marks she left. One of the trees must have had a very few fruits way up in the tree top. I don't think the Asian pear NEEDS a pollinator, but having one probably helps. If so, any pear tree should work just fine. Does for me.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a semi-dwarf asian pear that has 4 different types of asian pears on it. It just got planted last year but I got 4 pears this year. They were good with no marks on them. Some pears do need a pollinizer and some don't. But even trees that don't need one will produce more fruit with a pollinizer. All my fruit trees are 4 way grafted. This way I get a variety of fruit in my limited space and it also covers the area of pollinization.

Mary