Crazy Experiments

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i had a good exchange with @Beekissed in the thread about potatoes and leaving them in the ground for storage or replanting immediately instead of trying to save seed potatoes. How about perpetual onions and maybe other veggies? I replanted the cut off roots from grocery store spring onions and a big ole slicer this past fall based on something I read on the net and guess what: they took hold and started growing again! I'm going to harvest my spring onions this year by cutting it off at ground level and letting it regrow. thought I had a pic, but I must have deleted it. They root ends I planted are growing well and I'll post a pic tomorrow. I know you can cut lettuce and it will regrow and I've heard it's the best way to harvest bok choi, and you can cut the eye out of a potato and replant it. Any other plants you can propagate in a similar manner? Anyone have any experience trying this?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cut the head out of broccoli and leave the plant. It keep sending our suckers that you can harvest. I get a lot of broccoli that way.

When I harvest basil, oregano, or sage for drying I generally cut them way back, the oregano to the ground, the sage or basil I leave a sucker bud to regrow. I think I surprised Steve when I told him I cut my parsley and cilantro back to the ground and it regrows without immediately bolting. Dill is a little harder to work with but as long as I keep the seed pods cut off it keeps making more.

I bent a Forsythia branch to the ground and put a bit of dirt on it, maybe 1/2", and put a paver on that. It set roots and I transplanted it about a year later. I tried that with Spirea and it did not work. I did water that area during dry spells.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Horseradish...miss so much as a fingertip sized piece and it will surely be back!

We save the root tips from ramps (wild garlic) we buy or find and replant them in a suitable location and they will also regrow and in time spread enough to harvest from the newly established patch.