Creating a Wildlife Habitat Garden

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
http://www.nwf.org/gardenforwildlife/

I'm looking into this, I would love to see how to go about not only creating a great Habitat (it really helps having a pond some a partially wooded lots attached to our property), but actually what benefits there would be to getting certified!?

Has anyone researched this or done this?!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm familiar with the concept. I never did it though. I'm always planting native plants and trying to improve wildlife habitat, but never have bothered to be "official."

I bought a book that was written by a guy from our state's Dept. of Wildlife about creating habitat in the home garden. It is an amazing book . . . lots of information and plant lists for our State. It is one of my favorite books. I wonder if there are any like that written for your area?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Although my yard qualifies for certification I am not 'official' either.

While completing a list of minimum requirements will get your yard 'wildlife habitat certified', it seems (after thorough reading) that the main goal is to maintain a totally native/natural ecosystem, eventually.

There is no mention (that I could find) of incorporating food crop plots (for humans), OR that it is possible to incorporate 'some' ornamental or exotic plants without compromising a natural habitat.

Maybe I am off base to assume this. But it is a bit more realistic and acceptable for your average homeowner to be successful to fall somewhere in the middle, yet have a very positive impact on preservation and wildlife ... :/

Other than that... it is a great resource and incentive for promoting wildlife and nature preservation... :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Did you know that archeologists suspect the first gardening occurred because our ancestors accidently grew plants on top of their buried friends by placing plants that they ate on top of the dirt? So, I guess food gardening wouldn't qualify as a natural ecosystem. :lol:

Latest posts