Creeping Thyme in the walkway

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I want to plant creeping thyme in the walkway from my porch down to the drive. I have grey flat stones for stepping and I have the rubber mulch in between. Underneath I not only have the weed barrier, but wire mesh to keep the gophers from coming up in the middle. I want to sprinkle creeping thyme seeds and hope they take and spread. Up by the porch I have a little scotch moss but the snails and slugs ares just chowing down on that. Should I start the seeds and plant them once bigger or would spreading the seeds andlettingt go from there work better?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm... so you have wire mesh, weed barrier and rubber mulch? No soil in that area? I think it's unlikely that you'll get your thyme to take. I think starting them first in pots would be the best bet at any rate no matter where you end up putting them.

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I guess I should have added that I just pulled all the bermuda that was growing in there....the rubber mulch is a few years old so with rain and wind there is some soil in there. I have a giant patch of purple daisies that I am constantly puling seedlings out of the walkway from. Then there is all the substrate of years worth of leaves and clippings, etc that have settled into the spaces between the step rocks.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well then! Thyme isn't a deep rooter so if you have other stuff that germinates in there it will probably work. I still think you might want to start them in pots first, just so you can control the germination process better. Let us know how it goes :) .

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are feeling impatient you can find creeping thyme at garden centers in the "stepable" category. It spreads fast and could easily be split up and spread around....Love the idea- I think it will look great!

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
bees are more than welcome here, but with an acre, I'm sure they will be all over, anyway!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
The flowers on mine, are super tiny- never seen a bee on them....
This is thyme... the bumbles love them!

7504_bunblebees024.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have stepable creeping thyme and it doesn't look a thing like that!! It stays real low to the ground and has teeny, tiny white flowers....That is beautiful!

Latest posts