Crochet swap anyone?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I participated in a swap over in BYC and it was so much fun.
Many, many years ago my Mom made one of those daisy afghan using the little pom-pom maker thing.
8721_thcayqkd55.jpg

And when I saw this:
8721_thcarumnxq.jpg

I thought it would be fun to make a tomato afghan.
I don't know if anyone would be interested - and I don't even have a pattern yet but, would anyone be interested in doing something like this?

This project was applique. But I think it can be done as a sort of modified granny square. I know the first several granny squares I made turned out more like bumpy circles.. so it CAN be done... on purpose this time. :p
My idea is that we pick a pattern (so theyre all the same size) and whoever wants to participate works them in any tomato color they like. Since tomatoes come in an almost infinite range of colors that shouldnt be hard.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That looks cool. Crocheted circles are easy, if you google it there is a set ratio of increase stitches for each round to make it flat and circular, and that pattern would be a simple straight forward circle w/o any fancy stitching in it. I think the applique part is the tomato top. I was actually thinking the other day a circle themed swap would be cool since they haven't done one yet. If you do set this up I would definitely cross post it here and BYC.

The current crochet swap on BYC just ended, it didn't have many participants, don't know if the theme intimidated some or it was just a bad time of year????

Oh I just noticed that was done in felt!!!!! So I bet you are right and it is total applique, sorry.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks so pretty! I never learned to crochet. I did needlepoint and everybody in the family had pillows. :lol:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love to crochet, but I rarely get time for any relaxing or hobbies anymore. But I will enjoy seeing what you all come up with if you decide to do it. :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, a swap is a great time to learn. Usually there is a simple pattern and you can build your skills as you go.

I played around last night for a little while and came up with a roughly 4" circle, then added a cluser of double chains on top to look like the green leafy top. It looked cute, but I'm still looking for a standard pattern.

Kass, what was the last theme on BYC's swap?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Bay, a swap is a great time to learn. Usually there is a simple pattern and you can build your skills as you go.

I played around last night for a little while and came up with a roughly 4" circle, then added a cluser of double chains on top to look like the green leafy top. It looked cute, but I'm still looking for a standard pattern.

Kass, what was the last theme on BYC's swap?
Cancer awareness ribbons.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Over at BYC they also have an ornament swap. Make different types of ornaments someone plans out who gets the others names. I have done two of them so far. It's been interesting getting the different types of crafts.

My dad has a sewing machine he is going to give me.... time to learn something new :D

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Yeah Dew! You're going to learn to sew too? I got Mom's old machine but it was just worn out and didn't work. A couple of weeks ago I found the same one on Craig's list! I'm just looking to be able to make some simple projects for around the house. What are you going to use yours for?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am working on a quilt right now. How many tomatoes would each one have to do? I have never done a swap before. I am not able to do real fancy knitting or crochet, but I can handle the basics. How long to complete?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well I'll have to find a pattern first. There are dozens of patterns for 3D tomatoes, and a few for side-view ones. But I can't find one for a top-view. :/
Generally in a swap each person does 1 of whatever the project is for each person participiting. So if 12 people sign up, each does 12 tomatoes. They all get sent in to the person 'hosting' who dividies them up and sends 12 (1 from each participant) back to each person. So you would get 1 of yours and 11 made by other people.
The more people who sign up (OR if anyone wants to do more than 1 set) the bigger your finished project could be.

Latest posts