cross pollination

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello!

I bought some heirloom pepper seeds and noticed that they suggested planting them a long way away from each other to prevent cross pollination. I really don't have the space to do that and I really don't feel like growing my peppers under domes.

So if I plant all of my peppers within 30 feet of each other, will that affect the fruit this year or if not that will I get crazy hybrid peppers next year if I plant the seed from this year's crop of peppers? Actually crazy hybrid peppers could be fun.

Thanks!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I keep mine about 20 feet apart hot and sweet and havent had a problem. However with that said I have also plant hot and sweet close to try things. Sometimes it works, Sometimes it doesnt.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Worry about cross pollination if you're saving seeds. If you're just growing peppers, don't worry about it. That being said, I wouldn't grow red-hots next to bell peppers (just because). I don't know that it would be a problem, I'd just keep them separate.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cross-pollination won't change this year's crop.

My peppers are all together in the garden. I save seed only for a few hots - most of my peppers are hybrids except for these few. I have never seen any evidence of cross-pollination. For example, the Thai Hots are still Thai Hots, year after year. Crossing with something else would be quickly apparent with these little guys :p.

I did once have some banana peppers that I thought were open-pollinated. The mix I got after saving the seed and replanting made me fully aware of the error in my thinking :rolleyes:.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I recently read that same with peppers I was going to get. I decided not to since there is no room to plant them more then 10 ft apart.

It was suggested to plant them in pots on my porch if I wasn't sure. I may or may not try that... but I also found out to not plant them near (150 ft or more if possible) apricot trees. Apparently, peppers can get some kind of disease that can kill an apricot tree.

Now I'm scared! LOL

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I dont have the space to spread 20 feet apart.. so I have a row then about 6 feet I have another row.. but I planted a bunch of okra inbetween.. it will all be good..

I will just save the hot seeds ... then the only drawback is that they wont have as much heat.. no biggie..

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you want to save seeds all you have to do is bag a few flowers before they open, hand-pollinate them, then rebag them til the flower is clearly no longer 'open for business'. After that just leave a twistem or something as a marker of which fruits to use for seed-saving.

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with cross pollination either and I usually grow jalapenos intermixed with bells. I save seeds from both kinds of pepper.

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
If you want to save seeds all you have to do is bag a few flowers before they open, hand-pollinate them, then rebag them til the flower is clearly no longer 'open for business'. After that just leave a twistem or something as a marker of which fruits to use for seed-saving.

Pat
That was the smartest thing I learned allll day!

Also, it's kinda fun to grow peppers in pots, since they are perennial. I've kept peppers productive when I can give them enough light.

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
when i first came to Puerto Rico my grandfather had several large bushes, like 4 or 5 feet tall of some peppers that looked to me like squash peppers, here in PR they call them aji dulce. Well I never understood how one bush could have the most delightful little sweet peppers, and another, not but 5 feet away could have peppers identical in appearance, but spicy as hell. Until I came to understand open pollination and cross pollination that could lead to all manner variations in peppers.

i don't think I'll ever be able to save pepper seeds. except perhaps from the variety I'm planting in the front of the house. Its way removed from the other varieties, which are much closer to each other. I'm going to have the same issue with tomatoes, next year when i commit to a couple of heirloom varieties.

Latest posts