Crossing Melons

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedO asked me to make a thread about how I used to do it. Here is basically a copy paste what I typed:

Crossing melons is different than crossing squashes mainly because the flowers are smaller. If you are able to do it the same way as squashes with your coordinated hands, it is the most sure way.

The stamens are much smaller on the male flowers of Cantaloupes, Watermelons, and Cucumbers, and they are kind of inside the petals.

I was crossing these small melons a bit differently. I would grow 2 plants of the cross I wanted to do right near each other. I would remove all the male flowers of what would become the seed plant before they opened. Twice a day. this way, the only male flowers that could supply pollen would be from the other plant, the plant that would supply pollen, on which I allowed all the male flowers to bloom.

Well, you'll find out how your F1's will taste the next year. But even if the flavor is not what you want, save the seeds from the F1 melons and grow those seeds in the following year. You get the assortment of segregations that year to select from.

Keep copious quantities of notes.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Marshall!

I was thinking that I would have to do hand-pollinations but cutting the male flower heads off of one variety sounds so much easier! I'll make sure to post pictures of the varieties that I start out with along with the F1/F2/etc crosses as I'm sure that some of you would like to see them. Maybe I'll even let the TEG members choose or vote for a name for the new variety when I'm done with it.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedO, Carol Deppe wrote a good book I strongly recommend you read.

Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties

A very good, understandable book, and also a good book to learn how to use as a personal learning textbook. In other words, to take notes on, to write essays about sections of it, and things like that to be your own teacher with a good text.

I understand she has written another book or 2 since.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've already finished that book a few weeks ago. I don't remember if she mentioned clipping the male flowers off or not, she probably did, I should probably go back and read it again. I do remember that it was a very good book.

I'm currently working on "The Resilient Gardener" also by Carol Deppe, and should have "The One-Straw Revolution" by Masanobou Fukuoka arriving from the library soon. One-Straw Revolution isn't really a book on plant breeding as I understand it, it is more of a philosophy of an alternative farming technique developed by a Japanese farmer.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've already finished that book a few weeks ago. I don't remember if she mentioned clipping the male flowers off or not, she probably did, I should probably go back and read it again. I do remember that it was a very good book.

I'm currently working on "The Resilient Gardener" also by Carol Deppe, and should have "The One-Straw Revolution" by Masanobou Fukuoka arriving from the library soon. One-Straw Revolution isn't really a book on plant breeding as I understand it, it is more of a philosophy of an alternative farming technique developed by a Japanese farmer.
Those books all sound good, SeedO. I think I need to take a trip to the library.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Please do! I have read good things about both authors. I've read a couple of Carol Deppe's books and they were great!

Maybe Nifty should create a section for us to do book reviews on if there isn't one already?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Marshall, have you tried any of the kiva type cucumbers? I've heard that they stand heat well and can get huge while still being edible, so bought some Ubekski cuke seeds from Baker's. If they turn out well I may by a few more kiva types and just let the varieties interbreed.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been a few years since I've grown any melons while concentrating on the beans. 2 years ago I did have 3 volunteer cucumbers I allowed.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am planting watermelons, cantaloupe,and cucumbers all next to each other, should I be worried they might cross pollinate?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Watermelons, Cucumbers, and Cantaloupes will not cross with each other.

If it ever happens, let me know. That would possibly create some new tetraploid species.

Latest posts