Crossing Tomatoes, My Method

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cross tomato flowers a bit differently.

Basically I do a temporary transplant of the anther cone.

Tomato flowers make a cone of anthers that are attached together as a ring on the bottom of them. This anther cone is removable all in one piece with some practice. I use a pair of flat diagonal tweezers to do the deed.

First an almost opened flower is chosen which will be the female parent. I open it with the tweezers and my fingers. If a petal or two comes off that's not a problem. In fact, sometimes a bit later, if I need to remove all the petals to make the anther cone I'll be putting on it fit, I will. Just do it carefully.

After opening the flower, separate some of the anthers at the top, and gather them together in the tweezers and lift. That takes practice. For removing the female's anther cone neatness is not needed. Later, to remove the male's anther cone, it must be done so it's all pretty much in one piece. May as well practice getting it in one piece with the female anther cone removal. They like to call this DEMASCULATING. eeegh... Be careful you don't harm the stigma!

After removing and throwing away the now female only flower's anther cone, wipe the tweezers clean. Then go to your selected male flower. It needs to have an anther cone slightly bigger around than the micro baby tomato on the female flower because the base of that anther cone is going to fit around it's widest part to hold it in place. This anther cone must be removed in one piece. Usually the best way, after opening the flower, is to grab the top of it, stigma and all in the tweezers, and pull it off. If the stigma comes off with it, no real problem, just let it fall out.

Take that anther cone to the demasculated female flower and put it on just like it belongs there. Careful you don't harm the stigma of that one during any part of this operation.

Often the fit is not tight enough to hold the cone on because tomato flowers face sort of downward. Have some string to put around the flower stem and tie it in such a way as to make the flower with the newly transplanted anther cone not face downward. A bit upward is needed if the anther cone is too loose.

That's basically it.

I usually repeated the process on the same flower with another anther cone from the same male parent in a couple of days just to make sure.

Also, I try to make sure the new anther cone covers the stigma for little to no chance of cross pollination that is not desired. But i think that happened at least once.

Pollen on the anthers of tomatoes is mostly on the inside of the anther cones. Almost all of it happens a day after the flower begins to open. Do it before that happens.

===

I know, there are better more modern ways. This works for me.

How do you do it?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was hoping you'd do this, Marshall.

It just seemed that if I played dumb long enuf, you'd gather your strength and put words to the process.

I've bookmarked this so it won't be hard for me to find . . . Thank You!

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sure I've missed some of the details.

Best thing to do is practice taking a few flowers completely apart so you get an idea about how it's put together, and how weak things like the ring at the base of the anther cone is, fragile.

Some varieties have extremely fragile stigmas! Stupice's stigma and Wapsipinicon Peach's stigmas were always too fragile for my hands not to break.

It is often better to use a potato leaf as the female crossed with regular leaf as the male your first few times. Because, if your cross pollination worked, the seeds will make DADDY'S regular leaf, and that will let you know if you did it right, and if you plant many of them you will have an idea of the percentage of properly cross pollinated seeds you have. Should be 100% of them. Until you get 100% a few times stick with regular leaf pollen on potato leaf stigma using the anther cone transplant method.

I think I invented this method, but hey, if I can anyone else can. Probably long before me!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, i found this page if it helps with a visual of the inside of the flower.
6704_crosssectionoftomato.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That helps me, Chickie'sMoma!

I was just looking for a picture of a tomato flower.

There's one on this webpage: (click) I didn't want to just swipe it! The person who put together this webpage is someone I've communicated just a little with. He gave me some advice once on growing carrots. I know, it has nothing to do with what seems to be his great passion. He developed the Gary O Sena tomato and a good number of other ones. I found this webpage, however, because of a link from UCDavis.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The cone of anthers is made of i forget, like 5 or 8 separate anthers that are close and tight. At the base of them they come off a ring of plant tissue that is lightly attached to the unfertilized tomato. that does not quite show on either photo. actual dissection needs to be practised a few times. to see how the petals attach, and what is exposed if a sepal of the calyx is removed. to know how to hold it while working on it, etc. lots of etc's! :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i didn't want to get into too much trouble if i posted the link to a competitor's site. it was on GardenWeb's site if anyone is looking for it. i found it by searching for 'cross pollinating tomato plants' and it was one of the first links i got.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
She's doing it the right way I guess. :p