Cuban Oregano

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So, last year a friend gave me a snippet of her 'Cuban Oregano'. Or so she was told that was what it was. Then sadly, her plant died in her kitchen window and she hasn't been able to find it anywhere. My little piece she gave actually rooted amazingly!

In the window of my kitchen it grows and grows, eventually I hope to get it big enough to give her a snippet back.

However, I know nothing about this thing other then it smells like oregano. Seriously, its got HUGE FUZZY LEAVES?! How am I supposed to cook with that size & texture. Are there certain recipes I am supposed to use this for. Now its big and strong with lots of new growth, I want to use some... I just don't know how?!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure the recipes, but the squished leaves sure make nice tonic on gardener's hands!

I believe that even a leaf will grow. Try a few leaves tucked mostly into the soft potting soil. Just about a succulent.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Not sure the recipes, but the squished leaves sure make nice tonic on gardener's hands!

I believe that even a leaf will grow. Try a few leaves tucked mostly into the soft potting soil. Just about a succulent.
That is good to know, because sometimes I forget to water it and it doesn't seem to care! hahahaa

arienwolf

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My family is Puertorican, And what you're describing sounds like what we know as Brujo Oregano. Big huge leaves that have a light "fur" on them Mild taste. Strong oregano odor. Some of the leaves have white on the edges. :) We use it A LOT of Salsas.
:/ Or at least that's what we know it as. Hope it's the same thing :/ If you have it I envy you :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking it comes in many varieties. Plectranthus is the Genus name I'm sure of both.

Do you add it to the salsa recipe early or late in mixing it up? Oh that'd be good!

arienwolf

Leafing Out
Reaction score
When they make the Salsa they add it early. Cut it fine and stir in. Brujo can have a mild flavor but sometimes they pack a punch. (It also depends on how you cut it) For a big leaf we used a trio of leaves. On many different dishes. It's been my experience that you can cook it for long periods and it will not get bitter. Reg Oregano is used A lot for Pork. Brujo is used for Like Soups, Fish and Salsas. But You can Use it for Pork too. (if you really want to) I have not been able to find it here in Florida at the stores. I had a big Plant my grandparents left but the cook in the family killed it. She fell in love with it and used the plant bare.:( Never came back. Its one of those gold star next to it, need to get, top of the list, Plant in the BIG list. :)
Basically you can use Brujo the same way as regular oregano.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score

arienwolf

Leafing Out
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
I looked around on google. Hard to find plants. There was something on ebay. So I checked for seeds and discovered a company called Seeds of India that has seeds.

http://www.seedsofindia.com/item/Ajwain-leaf-Plectranthus-amboinicus---Available-for-Pre-order--200

It does look like there are many varieties when I googled it. The only variety I know that we grew at the greenhouse has thick small succulent leaves, and is the same species. Google image it! Wow, one species such variation!
Marshallsmyth, you're a hero! Thank You so much!!

Yes it's very different from plant to plant. The one we had here had huge furry leaves. :) My grandmom has One in P.R that's (no kidding) like four feet high bushy and it has white around the edges of the plant leaves but the leaves are medium compared to the one that died here! She's had/got a regulare oregano plant that grew just as huge. I remember pulling of loooonnnnggggg stems to strip off the leaves and dry them when she needed to cut it back.

I don't have a lot of luck with herbs at my house :( the cook either uses it all or it dies before being used. Rosemary is killing me right now. :he

I don't mean to highjack. Use the Brujo like you would regular oregano :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You guys are awesome! I'm going to have to try some in my salsas this summer. :)

I did a search online and I found this page with lots of pics and info:

http://www.stgmagazine.com.au/community/2011/09/05/plectranthus-amboinicus/

I do have the variegated variety, and I guess from looking online to find some to buy, I didn't come up with any retailers I could order my version from. So now I feel its SUPER special to me. :)

Latest posts