Cucumber beatles..

Pringlays

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well last year I had cucumber beatles attack my pumpkins,zuchinni and of course cucumbers.I heard that if you sprinkle DE around the plant that it will tear the waxy coating of the beatle and kill it does it work?Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

Pringlays

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ohh cmon someone must know about them?

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am no expert, but I think that DE would work on the critters that crawl across the DE. I would think that in their filght stage that DE would not bother them. I am not familiar enough with their pre-adult stage to know if this will effect them or not. :rolleyes:

I do intend to use DE for earwigs. Right now the Aphids have discovered my cabbages. :barnie

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ditto what Ladyhawke said. I've never had a problem with cuke beetles, but I think that DE only works on soft-bodied creatures. I don't think it would be strong enough to get thru a beetle's hard exterior. :idunno

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is what I did that worked...

I planted Radish, and let them bolt all summer to collect seed. I planted them around my cukes and all the cucumber beetles were attracted to the radish instead of the cukes! :D Now, if my cukes didn't get a freakin' fungus it would have been a great year!

But Blight abused my veggies last year to no end. :/

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
This is what I did that worked...

I planted Radish, and let them bolt all summer to collect seed. I planted them around my cukes and all the cucumber beetles were attracted to the radish instead of the cukes! :D Now, if my cukes didn't get a freakin' fungus it would have been a great year!

But Blight abused my veggies last year to no end. :/
i have the book 'Carrots love tomatoes' and it says to do that. it also mentions to trap them by filling a shallow container 3/4 full with water and add some cooking oil.

vfem, do you think it was downy mildew or wilt that could have affected your cukes? if it was the mildew there is a recipe for using a chive spray on them.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had downy mildew that got half my melons and my cukes. NCSU sent an extention researcher out here to document it. My luck, I had the first case last summer in my county! ARGH!

Latest posts