Cucumber Beetles-- how do we get rid of them?

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We've got them everywhere, eating all the squash and cucumber plants--- they are covering the ground-- tons of them.

What can we do to get rid of them, that isn't poisonous? We're trying to be as organic as possible.

Will the chickens eat them? We were hoping to keep them out of the garden-- but not sure if they'll kill the plants?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hand pick, early in the morning, and in the evening. The rest of the time they fly, and you can't get them... It sounds like you really have a ton of them. It might be worth a try to let a supervised chicken or two in the garden- but they rarely go after what you want them to! The idea of a bucket of water with yellow food coloring has been mentioned. Apparently, they are attracted to yellow. Hopefully, someone else will have some ideas. Good luck!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Until this year, I would have had an idea for you, Nettie.

It would have involved a poison, I wouldn't be out there spraying just to try to entertain them . . But, the poison is an OMRI approved organic alternative: pyrethrum/rotenone spray. I've used it to some good effect on cucumber beetles and squash bugs.

Can't find it.

Not here locally and the company doesn't have it on its website anymore :/. One 2011 seed catalog has it listed, so I sent off an order for it from Jung's. It isn't what they sent me . . . :rolleyes:

I got pyrethrin which IS organic, as best as I understand, and derived from pyrethrum. However, it is mixed with piperonyl butoxide, a synergist and not a poison but that stuff isn't approved as an organic pesticide ingredient.

Oh, I'll use it - on the ornamentals, anyway. But, as I was looking thru the literature as to what it will have an effect on - cucumber beetles came up.

Steve

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I try to let the chickens free in the garden about twice a week. They do a very good job on the bugs and, believe it or not, they don't bother the plants at all. Sometimes they get excited and peck holes in some leaves when a big juicy bug is there. I don't like for them to eat the earthworms but I guess I have to pay them somehow. I just wish they would dig down a little deeper and get the voles.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have heard some people say that guines are less destructive on a garden than chickens... they would rather have the bugs.
I have a hose end sprayer, which i put a mix of mild liquid soap and some pyola. ( am not up to date, but last I heard pyola was safe and considered organic.. I wont swear to that, but in despairation i use a small amount with the soap and water in the sprayer, then its diluted even more as I turn the hose on. I do this once a week at least... so far..not overtaken with those bugs, but the summer is still young. It is also keeping the cabbage worm free.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
For today, we've opened the gate to see if the chickens will go on in and eat some-- so far-- not a chicken has stepped a silly foot in there, I think they're used to it being a no chicken zone. Will have to see what can find locally to put on them... plants are dwindling, that's for sure...

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My chickens won't touch them. Spoiled brats they are.

I bought some of these which will be here early next week so I'll let you know how that goes.

http://www.burpee.com/gardening-supplies/pest-control/cucumber-beetle-trap-prod001803.html

Otherwise, I'm picking and squishing.

Interestingly the Ultra Shield EX permethrin-based stuff (it's a horse spray) I sprayed at the base of my bucket of hubbard squash (just on the plastic) either worked or I squished 99% of the bugs dead. I'm still picking them off my other curcurbits, so I do think it worked a bit.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
pyrethrum

pyrethrin

permethrin

Notice how similar these names are? Maybe there is an attempt to be deliberately misleading.

The permethrin is a synthetic. Apparently, related chemically . . .

Steve

Latest posts