Cucumber Disease

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I transplanted my Homemade Pickle cucumber 2 weeks ago, and they have gotten a disease already. A large portion of the leaves has turned a light brown color and are paper thin. It started out as a small spot and continued to get bigger and bigger. It has almost engulfed the leaves completely. What is it and how can I stop it. These plants only have 3-4 true leaves, so I'm concerned I will lose them if I don't do something quickly.

Thanks.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Transplant damage might take the course of dehydration. The leaf edges will wilt, wither, and brown as they die away.

Transplanting cucumbers and others in their family has to be done early, like by the 3rd week. I find that really soggy wet roots helps, not only with maintaining moisture when they first go out but to get the plants to just drop out of their containers.

Diseases? Probably really need a photograph. Here are some descriptions and photo's from Cornell "vegetableMD" (link).

Steve

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Transplant damage might take the course of dehydration. The leaf edges will wilt, wither, and brown as they die away.

Transplanting cucumbers and others in their family has to be done early, like by the 3rd week. I find that really soggy wet roots helps, not only with maintaining moisture when they first go out but to get the plants to just drop out of their containers.

Diseases? Probably really need a photograph. Here are some descriptions and photo's from Cornell "vegetableMD" (link).

Steve
Yep, I think you might be right. It started on the edges. I think I got them in the ground by 3 weeks though. They just were getting their first set of true leaves when I transplanted them. So will watering save them or is it too late?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I think it is never too late to try, Bigred'.

The last thing that will go is the stem. The plant is kind of pulling back in on itself, trying to conserve resources.

You may be able to get things turned around. Cucumbers require a lot of soil moisture, unlike some of their relatives.

Steve

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Oh, I think it is never too late to try, Bigred'.

The last thing that will go is the stem. The plant is kind of pulling back in on itself, trying to conserve resources.

You may be able to get things turned around. Cucumbers require a lot of soil moisture, unlike some of their relatives.

Steve
I'm regretting putting them in the raised beds now, as it gets dry quicker than in the garden.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cukes and similar plants do best direct sown. They do not transplant well from starts no matter how careful you are. They should be fine in raised beds unless they are small beds. The beds should not lose moisture with good composted soil. Leave the plants in place and add seed around them.

Latest posts