Cucumber seed help

Jared712

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey;

Usually I buy started cucumber plants because I only need a couple of them (literally I buy a 4 pack and that's plenty of cucumbers for us). So given the times I'm forced to start them from seeds this year and its Marketmore 76.

Do they need to be kept warm to get germination? They'll be in the basement in the mid 60's and under a decent amount of lighting.

Honestly as long as I can get them started with few leaves at the time I transplant them I'll be happy. I'd rather not have to start them outside if I can help it so figured I'd ask.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not sure why starting outside is a problem? You can start with the damp paper towel\ baggy trick on top of the fridge. Warmer is better, well faster anyway. So they are easily damaged by root manipulation like squash so being more than careful is a requirement as you pot them out.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
this is from johnnys seeds for cucumbers..... the warmer you keep your seeds the better you will have germination..
of course you would still need to harden them off for a couple days before planting..
1586715608531.png

Jared712

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm in 5b so was hoping to get a jump on them is all. I'm so used to having them started so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm in 5b so was hoping to get a jump on them is all. I'm so used to having them started so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

not sure your last day of frost if you have started them now they should be ready to go in the ground by early may if not sooner

Jared712

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
not sure your last day of frost if you have started them now they should be ready to go in the ground by early may if not sooner

I'm usually planting mid May in my neck of the woods. I have a seed mat on order so hopefully it comes in time to meet this timeline. We cannot buy any gardening supplies at retail stores right now so I'm hoping Amazon comes through with a fast-ish delivery for me.

Latest posts