Cucumbers and Tomato Cages

teacher

Sprout
Reaction score
I have been caging my cucumbers for awhile-it keeps your cucs clean and is a great space saver too.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I plan on trellising my cucumbers so I dont see why you couldnt use a tomato cage

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a trellis netting set on bamboo posts for my cucumbers, also have one set up for my cantelopes! :)

Saves me garden space and keep them off the ground.

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use tomato cages for my cucumbers. I love it and they work great. I plant one seeding near each wire that pokes in the ground. I use the re-bar cages for my tomatoes more often.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:clap Sounds like a wonderful idea. :thumbsup

I will give it a try. Last year had a volunteer cuc come up in the raised bed (it was just put together then) and it took over that corner. Got some tastey cucs from it though :celebrate

Next time DH eye balls tomato cages I will tell him to get a few. :tools

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I always plant my cukes in a row then put two metal fence posts on either end and stretch nylon netting between the posts. The cages will work fine too but I use the netting for a lot of other things in the garden ( peas , beans , cantaloupes etc.) so it is cheaper for me to get a large roll of netting rather than a whole lot of tomatoe cages. Cukes aren't picky - they'll climb about anything they can get their tendrils around. Good luck!