Cucumbers starting

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi all

As you may recall (I think I mentioned it). I set up a big flat of peat pellets to start my old cuke seeds (a big flat to allow for the low germination one would expect from very old seed.) Today early I checked and I FINALLY have some germination. Don't know how many (to do that I'd have to pull the seeds up and that would kill them, or at least damage them). But I really only need about five or so of each type to make it, after that I'll probably start thinning anyway (I misplaced a seed packet when I was planting [now found] and as I want those as well, as soon as I can thin I'll take some of the non germinated seed out and put them in.

So far I know I have 1 Russian Netted and 1 Siamese Giant.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have started and transplanted all vining crops in recent years. Old seed - I thoroughly dislike having to work with it. Do not send me your 500 year old seed taken from an archeological dig.

Transplanting helps with pests eating the sprouts and gives the plants a couple of weeks head start, for the 3 weeks in the greenhouse.

They are just in ponies of soil mix. I get them absolutely dripping wet and out they go. Splat! Seems to work okay, although I was very apprehensive at first.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
As of last night, I have 1 Siamese Giant seedling, 4 or 5 Brown Netted........and about 25 Mandurian Round. As this seems to be plenty I removed the non germinated/moldy seeds, planted the Assam Parchment (the pack I lost, then found) and as soon as they are done, will have my cukes for the season (Alas, none of the Heptagon sprouted)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
As of last night, I have 1 Siamese Giant seedling, 4 or 5 Brown Netted........and about 25 Mandurian Round. As this seems to be plenty I removed the non germinated/moldy seeds, planted the Assam Parchment (the pack I lost, then found) and as soon as they are done, will have my cukes for the season (Alas, none of the Heptagon sprouted)
An interesting selection. Do you cook any of those? How do you use them? I notice that Mandurian Round is C .melo, like Armenian cukes.

For a minute, when I read the title of the thread, I thought "starting" meant that you were getting your first cukes... which in your climate, would have been a remarkable accomplishment.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is? Funny I usually can TELL if a cuke is a melo by looking at the seeds (melon seeds tend to have a more pronounced "tail" then cucumber seeds, and a rounder top)

This is the first time I've grown any of them, so I can't tell if they are going to be cooked or not. Actually, outside of Indian food I haven't really heard of people "cooking" cucumbers. One can, of course make cucumber buttermilk soup, but that is a cold dish, and not really "cooked"

How I eat them depends a great deal on how many cukes I actually get. Most will most likely be used fresh in our general salads. I also tend to eat a lot of horatiki (that Greek salad with the cucumbers tomatoes and feta) so some will probably go there. The Siamese giants, if they really ARE giants may wind up as soup (since I can't think of many ways to use up a truly huge cucumber in one go besides that), I I get a LOT of a lot, I can always try my hand at pickling.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi all

As you may recall (I think I mentioned it). I set up a big flat of peat pellets to start my old cuke seeds (a big flat to allow for the low germination one would expect from very old seed.) Today early I checked and I FINALLY have some germination. Don't know how many (to do that I'd have to pull the seeds up and that would kill them, or at least damage them). But I really only need about five or so of each type to make it, after that I'll probably start thinning anyway (I misplaced a seed packet when I was planting [now found] and as I want those as well, as soon as I can thin I'll take some of the non germinated seed out and put them in.

So far I know I have 1 Russian Netted and 1 Siamese Giant.
The best method of planting cucumber is a direct seedling in the garden after the soil has warmed, as the seeds do not germinate in a colder soil than 60 degrees. Only drive two or three cucumber seeds an inch into the soil, spacing the seedlings 18 to 36 inches apart.

Latest posts