Cucumbers

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Plant them. When you put them outside put 2 together in a little mound of soil.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SoyBean said:
Do I need to make sure the little tails are facing down? I will be planting them in pots.
Yes, that is the root.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I haven't had a chance to plant them yet. I will probably do it tonight, but I took a look at my little sprouts and they are doing great! The main root is developing little off shoot roots! Two of the sprouts are doing this, the other two are not there yet. So that is 4 out of 6 seeds sprouted, 2 of those 4 with developing other roots. Can't wait to plant them!

tomatokate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've always direct seeded-with great results; one year I had so many cucumbers I had homemade pickles for three years, and I gave some away!:lol:

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My cucumbers are flowering! got my first big yellow flower this morning! My pickling cukes are sprouted and working on pushing out its first real leaf.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I pulled two sprouts from the baggy I'm sprouting them in. They were coming out of the little seed shell, so I planted them. The little leaves have not separated from each other. Two more sprouts are on their way. Might plant them tomorrow. The other two seeds have yet to sprout.

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
biggreenthumb said:
I am in zone 5B. I typically start a few hills indoors (under lights) at the end of April, and then tranplant in the garden in mid May. I then plant more hills directly into ground at the end of May. I think this year I'm going to stagger my planting. Last year I planted them all at once and had almost too many to keep up.
Hmm, trying to understand the advantage...Both sets will overlap in production when second set kicks in, you just don't get as much at first?

Other Qs:

Do your cukes last til frost, or do they tend to succumb to disease? (like mine:() Perhaps the later set lasts longer.

Also, you say you "plant hills"--do you plant in mounds? How big?

Hoping for a better yield this year.:/

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I have one really good, strong seedling. It's about 1-1.5 inches tall. The leaves have separated from each other. I have realized that the container I have it growing in is too shallow so I will be moving it to a bigger pot. When should I move it outside? Today we have a high of 66 and tonight a low of 46. We will be getting rain tomorrow. Should I replant it in a deeper pot and go ahead and stick it outside, then bring it inside for the night?

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my cukes have let loose about a dozen flowers in the last 48 hours.