Cukes and H2O melons, newbie error?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is something that has confused me -- citron. Which one do you suppose has been the one in my holiday fruitcake, Hoodat?

It is a name for a tree fruit and then the name of a vine fruit, related to watermelon. Or, I guess it is a watermelon. (Wikipedia)

Probably, its days to maturity requirement is beyond my garden's capability but I've noticed it in my Jung catalogs for years. Sand Hill Preservation has 4 varieties!.

I tried to grow Blacktail Mountain watermelon this year . . . to go with the Sugar Babies that I have. Not one seed sprouted :/ - I think it was the only total failure like that. However, the seed didn't come from Sand Hill even if the variety came from that guy, years ago.

Blacktail Mountain is just a few miles from where I used to live and struggle with a short season to grow much of anything. I came across a story about how this variety was developed by the kid who would grow up to found Sand Hill Preservation. He was actually out there trying to grow this melon at the same time I was just down the road :rolleyes: trying to find the right tomato and right sweet corn.

I will try Blacktail Mountain again in '11. Things like this should have special meaning for a gardener.

Steve :)

Latest posts