Cut Down / Try And Treat ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSCF0205.JPG DSCF0204.JPG Pear tree planted about 15 years ago along side road. Tree has never been sprayed, produces large crop of pears. This summer 1st sign of trouble, Major says tree has FireBlight, Scab and Stoney Pit. Should I cut it down or try and treat, I do have orchard with newly plant pears, not to far away from this tree.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know NOTHING about fruit trees - but would be tempted to err on the side of caution and protect the new trees.....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you post more photos of the tree, leafs, ends of the branches anything that does not look right to you...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good will be home this weekend and will be able to see better on the monitor hard to really judge on a iPhone

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you catch fireblight early enough, you can prune it out. Once it gets to the scaffold limbs or trunk, then the tree is a loss. During the growing season you need to cut each blighted branch out a good 12" past the point where you think you see the burned appearance end. If you wait for dormant season, then you don't have to cut as much past it. And don't work on it during a rainy/humid spell either, when the bacteria is actively growing. You need to burn the prunings too. And sterilize your pruning shears between each cut. It's a very contagious disease. It will spread quickly to other surrounding apple and pear trees. I've had enough of it. I'm only buying resistant cultivars from here on out.

I can see some browned twigs in your tree, but could need to look a little closer to be sure. It doesn't appear to be a bad case, if that is what it has. Look for whole twigs that are dead, brown, burnt looking as if the wood has been scorched, and the tips have a characteristic "shepherd's hook" at the tip. It will go after new growth especially or spurs where the blooms had been. Bees can carry it from tree to tree as they pollinate in the spring.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd wait for the leaves to drop then. You will be able to plainly see where the disease stops as it leaves a burnt looking scar.

Latest posts