Cut trees for raised beds?

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay, I've run out of "spare" money until after Christmas. All spare money has to be put into Christmas shopping, lol.

I have a new section that I would like to border the fence in raised beds. I was thinking of cutting down some of our many oak trees to use as borders. How do I keep the log in place? What is a good anchor to drive in the ground if I want to stack them 2 logs high? I have lots and lots of trees. I have mature trees and "mini-trees". The mini's are 6" diameter, long, thin, straight, nuisances. They would make wonderful raised beds. I have a chainsaw, I just need any tips for construction and I can't nail them together. Physically impossible for me.

Thanks, Melissa

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I saw this done in one of the mother earth news articles. I loved the idea, and a friend of ours told us to help ourselves to the over abundance of trees on her property to do it with. We haven't had time, and the heat has been ridiculous so we were waiting until at least fall to look into it.

Here's one showing it done:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/modern-homesteading/raised-garden-beds-zm0z05zsie.aspx

There was another article I read though, didn't see it on their site though when I searched it.

Go for it, it should work out well!!!

mare

Leafing Out
Reaction score
That's what I did in my garden except we used cedar. To keep it from falling over we drilled holes in the logs and put rebar to secure it. It's been about 7 yrs since we've done this and everything is still holding together.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a drill, but how do I cut rebar? I know it comes in long sections and this would be the perfect idea for me.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Home Depot (and likely most hardware stores ) carry precut pieces in different lengths and thicknesses. It's also possible to have them cut it for you if you can't find the precut.
I think your beds will look great! :)

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hangin'witthepeeps said:
I have a drill, but how do I cut rebar? I know it comes in long sections and this would be the perfect idea for me.
If you get it longer than you need for the oak walls, you can use the extra to support a small fence later- or just tie plants to it.

nicktarabay

Sprout
Reaction score
hangin'witthepeeps said:
Okay, I've run out of "spare" money until after Christmas. All spare money has to be put into Christmas shopping, lol.

I have a new section that I would like to border the fence in raised beds. I was thinking of cutting down some of our many oak trees to use as borders. How do I keep the log in place? What is a good anchor to drive in the ground if I want to stack them 2 logs high? I have lots and lots of trees. I have mature trees and "mini-trees". The mini's are 6" diameter, long, thin, straight, nuisances. They would make wonderful raised beds. I have a chainsaw, I just need any tips for construction and I can't nail them together. Physically impossible for me.

Thanks, Melissa
Home Depot is your friend in this situation, you can rent the tools you will need to cut down the trees and move the logs where you want, The name of the tool rental at the Home Depot is Compact Power Center and they have heavy machines for just this kind of work.

Latest posts