Cutting a new garden

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good luck! The only thing other than a few good tilings to get rid of grass is to house a pile of youthful chickens on it for a year... everything turns to dirt.... I just grew up 15 chicks on a 50 by 20 spot and with them and winter.. it's almost ALL dirt now...

southern28chick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Chicken_Boy said:
I'm not sure if a place full of clay would be the best place for a garden. But if its just a small layer the that will be fine. I suggest you rend or borrow a tilling tractor. Or you can Buy one of those small timming machines that look like lawn mowers.

Good Luck!
:rainbow-sun
LOL North Carolina is a big ole ball of red clay. Clay isn't such a bad thing though and we'll add topsoil and compost to the clay.

I think I'll go with the sod cutter, I'll call Home Depot and see if they have one for rent.

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
if you physically remove the sod (either reuse it, or stack it somewhere to let it compost down for next year!), remember you will be creating a sunken area, which on clay can be dangerous in wet times of the year. You will need to thoroughly dig or till the area to fluff it up well, AND dig in some extra stuff (compost, whatever) so that when it settles back down it will not settle too hollow.

Jealous of your being able to contemplate these things yet,

Pat, currently at about 5 F and expecting -10 F tonight (and that's BEFORE windchill) :p

Settin'_Pretty

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If you use a sod cutter you'll also be throwing away all the "green fertilizer" in the process.
I've cut new gardens every time I've moved and always just till up the ground and start adding compost to it.
Grass will only be a big problem if that is Bermuda, and it looks like just Fescue to me.

Don't worry, till it, plant it, and be happy. ;)

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
if you physically remove the sod (either reuse it, or stack it somewhere to let it compost down for next year!), remember you will be creating a sunken area, which on clay can be dangerous in wet times of the year. You will need to thoroughly dig or till the area to fluff it up well, AND dig in some extra stuff (compost, whatever) so that when it settles back down it will not settle too hollow.

Jealous of your being able to contemplate these things yet,

Pat, currently at about 5 F and expecting -10 F tonight (and that's BEFORE windchill) :p
Pat, that's a good idea. I also like your idea of turning the grass upside down and I've thought about that, but considering the darn bermuda I have in the yard it might not be such a good idea for me since that stuff can grow through concrete.

I also called a local nursery here for a price on compost to ad to my garden, and they want $31/yard. I don't know if this is reasonable - I've never bought compost. The city used to give away compost every spring but the don't do it anymore. Um, budget cuts she said...

5 F ? :th It's 57 and sunny here :happy_flower

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know from 'reasonable' -- varies too much locally and with what exactly the compost in question *is* -- but if you want to calculate amounts, 1 cubic yard will cover about 80 square feet (e.g. an 8x10 area) 4" deep, or 160 square feet (e.g. an 8x20 area) 2" deep.

Mind, those numbers are for its 'fluffy' state; the compost will settle and merge with the existing soil so pretty soon you will not have nearly that much of a net soil height boost. But it will let you do some vague calculations on how much you'd need to purcha$e.

What about your composted chicken litter though? Surely some of that must be starting to stack up? :)

Pat, expecting -20 to -30 F windchill tonight, heading out to hay the horses now, expecting them to be grumpy but there's not a lot I can do about it

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I once had a garden full of clay. Too much clay :barnie
I couldn't even dig! But you are right....................

THis is the same garden
incubator015.jpg

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I don't know from 'reasonable' -- varies too much locally and with what exactly the compost in question *is* -- but if you want to calculate amounts, 1 cubic yard will cover about 80 square feet (e.g. an 8x10 area) 4" deep, or 160 square feet (e.g. an 8x20 area) 2" deep.

Mind, those numbers are for its 'fluffy' state; the compost will settle and merge with the existing soil so pretty soon you will not have nearly that much of a net soil height boost. But it will let you do some vague calculations on how much you'd need to purcha$e.

What about your composted chicken litter though? Surely some of that must be starting to stack up? :)

Pat, expecting -20 to -30 F windchill tonight, heading out to hay the horses now, expecting them to be grumpy but there's not a lot I can do about it
Don't exactly know what the compost is. hmmmm... I'll have to call back and ask them.

Yep, did take into consideration the compost would settle -

I do have a bin of compost that is breaking down slowly and is not hot - just a little warm last time I turned it. i probably could use it by the time I'm ready to plant. I only have four hens so I don't get a heap of poop!

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
southern,
it is good to see your name..I haven't seen you post in awhile on BYC and was wondering how you were doing. Good luck with your garden. It's my first year with a big garden and I am finding this sight very helpful.

Latest posts