Cutting Back Mexican Petunia

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ah-HUH! Thanks! See, they throw all those nicknames in there and make it so confusing.

Thanks so much for the name, I believe I found it! The one grown in the south, Ruellia brittoniana (I think the one you have) is hardy to 8-9, 7 at best. BUT, there is a species, R. humilis that is hardy to zone 4, AND is a native in many states, including MN (I had no idea!) It is actually endangered in some states, but looks like the plant at the exchange.... hmmm... I'll be researching some more.

Yours are beautiful! I love the non-stop bloomers!.. even if they are a bit out of control. Although I've never had a plant shoot at me...:D

bgelber

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I love the sound of this plant. Does anyone know where I could find some seeds?

:throw

bgelber

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you. :ya :ya :ya I see a certain hill side in some of these little bad boys future. :rainbow-sun

edited as I'm not great with smiles but I do love them.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had Mexican petunias last year I had bought at our local festival. They were still in pots behind the house and unfortunately the fire was so hot it melted all my pots. You could not even tell there was ever anything growing in them. Ironically I had a red oak in a 3 gallon container back there too - the whole side of the pot melted and the leaves got completely singed but the little bugger came back. I was like :ya

Latest posts