Cutting flower suggestions

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:frow ... I escaped from my sewing room... :lol:

Steve ... unfortunately I have had the pleasure of a little TOO much gardening in the shade! But I do love Bergenia!
I wish it would multiply faster, I started a bunch more from seed again last year.

Awwe... inchworm isn't here to play yet... I hope the snow isn't too deep ... :D

Anyway... I have a bed that is shaded by tall trees most of the morning, gets 2-3 hours of sun, but the major part of the bed gets mostly dappled sun through trees, as the garden is close to the wooded area to the south. By late afternoon it's pretty dense shade.

Some perennials that I have found that do very well there:
(I have also found these on some lists of good flowers for cutting, but do not have a lot of experience with cut flowers)

Bee Balm
Chelone -Turtlehead
Toad lily
Astilbe
Heuchera
Lupine
Lobelia
Phlox
Foxglove
Balloon Flower
Columbine
Black Eyed Susan
Hosta

A few herbs that I have grown in somewhat shady areas:

Garlic Chives - do great but the bloom is a bit less than full sun, I like the bloom!
Angelica - I love A. gigas!
(I have planned on moving some Lemon Balm and trying some Calendula in the part shade garden, just haven't got there yet...:)

I dug in my resources too ... whoa ... bingo! ...:lol:

Perennials for cut flowers :cool:

Annuals Way down toward the bottom of the page there are some lists for shade and for good cutting flowers.
Some species have better varieties for cutting though.

Herbs

Oh, one more thing... :) ... if you have an extra sunny spot, put in a patch of Limonium - Sea Lavender... easy to grow and wonderful for flower arrangements!!!

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I love these suggestions. Gives me a great place to start.

For a little inchworm like me, any snow is too much! ;)

Inchworm (zone 6)

Latest posts