Dad's School

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dad's family left southeast Oklahoma before the Dustbowl and that must have been a fortunate decision. Still, his older brother said that they had to wait until "the kids were old enough to pick cotton," to pay for the trip to New Mexico. The Great Depression came a few years later and Dad never made it to high school.

I knew what the nearest town was and had visited there but didn't know the location of his family farm. New Mexico State University is now on one side of the freeway, Dad's hometown on the other. Of course, the freeway wasn't there when he was a teenager but the division of opportunity must have been very apparent to him and, probably, why he was both pushing his son towards an education and tolerant of my own starts and stops.

I asked him about his farm's location and he named his school:

brazito_school-1.jpg

If the caption is correct on this - 1916, Dad's family had not yet arrived in NM and it was 2 years before he was born. I'm guessing that Dad would have arrived here within the school's first 10 years.

The school building now houses the offices of an electrical contractor (link).

I mentioned to @murphysranch that she should drive by my family farm location in southern Oregon. It is now the campus of a high school! They opened that school a few years ago and it would be fun for me to drive by as I imagine that it would be for Dad to see his school. I'm printing a couple of photo's of his school to show him :).

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dad still lives in house my grandparents built when they came over from Italy in 1902. My grandmother gave birth to 13 children in that house. My dad always said he was born in that house and will die in that house. My sisters and I don't feel the same way , for sale sign will go right up

Latest posts