Damaging winds and rain

Andy J

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yesterday I came home from work and found my garden in shambles after we got heavy wind and rain.This is the second time this has happened this spring.Waist high corn flat on the ground;okra,butterbeans,snap beans,southern peas and squash plants blown over and pounded into the ground.

It seems we never get a steady,soaking rain here anymore.We go a week or two without a drop of rain;then a storm appears,very high winds and a 30 minute downpour of 2" of rain and it's dry for another two weeks.

I know the Lord is in charge of the weather;but it sure is disappointing when this happens.Anyone else have this problem?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have lost many expensive pots, and many of my herb starts to winds this year. They have been exceptionally bad to us as well. Most of our winds have come out of the west so I've moved some thing to the east side of the house for safety.

I also lost a very nice bird feeder to a recent storm. I really liked that one too. :(

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We haven't had high winds or anything, or damaging rain... well we haven't had much rain at all. It rained for maybe 10 minutes last night with some thunder and lightning, big showy number but not a lot in the way of precip. I have to water my poor vegetables every day! More than once!

My garden gets full sun all day long (on the south side of the property with no trees) until about 5pm when the fruit trees start creating some shade, but the plants just get baked all day long so I'm watering out there a lot from the rain barrel, and without rain... I'll have no rainbarrel water!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can drive a tall stake about every 10' along a corn row. You may need an extra set of hands but lift the corn up and run twine -- weaving it from one stake to the next and tying it at the end stakes. The sooner you can do this the better and it is true with all your plants.

The plants want to grow upright. If you give them a little help, they will try to straighten up. Remember, you aren't out there all by yourself. Not only are we all there with you (even if miles apart) but the plants are doing the best they can.

Humans are the most successful species on the planet. Close behind are our food plants . . . and maybe our lawn grass ;).

I know a gardener who had to experience this rain & hail storm, yesterday: YouTube.

Steve

Andy J

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of that,Steve.My corn rows aren't but 30' long,so that won't be a big chore.

We're bracing for another round of afternoon thunderstorms today and tomorrow.

Andy

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Andy J said:
It seems we never get a steady,soaking rain here anymore.We go a week or two without a drop of rain;then a storm appears,very high winds and a 30 minute downpour of 2" of rain and it's dry for another two weeks.

I know the Lord is in charge of the weather;but it sure is disappointing when this happens.Anyone else have this problem?
We had that a couple of years in a row and I started praying for my garden and it helped. Simple , "Dear Lord the ecomony is bad I we really need this garden please protect it and watch over it." 2 years ago we had a killer storm with 100 mph winds and I started praying, my garden was spared and a lot of others were flattened. Farmers lost corn cribs in this storm. Prayer works.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to have a terrible time with that in Oklahoma. It seems every darn year we would get one of those wooly booger thunderstorms just as the corn tassled.
Here in San Diego you can usually depend on the weather. Our rains are over for the year and we won't get any more till Winter.
It's weird out there tonight though. We have a heavy fog moving in from the ocean and it's so heavy it's almost like a drizzle. Time to stay off the coastal highways. These idjits around here won't slow down for fog.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Might want to wait a little on that corn Andy. Most will stand back up on its own unless it is broken, then you can support it. I have had corn that looks like someone filled the bottom foot of the stalk with 90degree elbows to make it stand. Still tasted the same.....