Damping Off Fungicide!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been looking for a fungicide to help prevent Damping Off when starting seeds indoors for years. I found a fungicide they have in Johnny's seeds called Rootshield Home & Garden. I'm thinking of trying it for this season, soon it will be time to start some seeds again. I always get damping off every year with some of my seedlings, What do I have to lose besides a few seedlings. Maybe this fungicide will help save most if not all of my seedlings this year.
I think you're suppose to mix the fungicide in the seed starter mix or in water when watering the seeds.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sprinkle a bit of milled spagnum moss over the top of the seeds and haven't had problems with damping off since I started doing that. I have heard that cinnamon sprinkled over the top of the soil works equally well, but never tried it myself.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with that either but I found the label. That’s always good to read, especially the list of what to not use it on. You’ll find that on the right, near the top. Apple, lemon, sugar cane, tobacco and others, but probably not anything you are going to start inside. Still an interesting list.

Label Info

http://www.bioworksinc.com/products/rootshield-hg/rootshield-hg-label.pdf

There was no withdrawal period since it is a living organism and should last all season. The only warning was to keep it out of your eyes. I don't consider those warnings too bad.

Damping off is a generic term that covers a lot of stuff caused by different microbes. This product looks like it will control a lot of them, but probably not all. Like many other people here I’ve had it too, some years worse than others and some years not at all.

One year I had it extremely bad. I used a potting mix instead of a starting mux and it just would not release the water and dry out. I sprinkled maybe 1/4” to ½” of dry play sand on top. That seemed to help and I at least got some plants. That was a bad year. I don’t know if dry sand is what pulled them through or not, but I was desperate and it seemed to make a difference.

I chatted with the lady that runs the local family-owned garden center about it. She said to run a fan to dry out the top of the soil after they had sprouted. I bought a small fan last year when they finally came “in season”, long after I’d already started my plans so I have it available now if needed. I may set it up anyway once they sprout.

The problem is often caused by the conditions being wet. I think cool also works against you, at least for some types. But if you keep it dry you won’t get good germination. I put a cover on mine to keep it moist enough so they will germinate and they don’t all germinate at the same time. And if you run a fan you have to make sure it doesn’t dry out too much and kill the starts that way.

It’s a timely topic. Good luck!

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi @Greenthumb18 ! Watering with Chamomile tea can help; in years when I did that I didn't seem to have as much of a problem. If you don't have this on the shelf, you will find it among the herbal teas in a good grocery. Smells wonderful too! To second @Smart Red 's suggestion, I also have heard of the antimicrobial properties of cinnamon but have not tried it for this use.

I germinate in a sterile sphagnum moss seed-starting mix (similar to @Smart Red 's suggestion) and always water from the bottom. Not wetting the seedlings from above really seems to help and a little air movement from a fan ( @Ridgerunner 's suggestion) can offer benefits as well.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Definitely get that fan and use it. Your plants will be much stronger and better able to handle transplanting into the garden.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to be a problem here in the house. The later starts in the greenhouse may have problems. I think it has a lot to do with air movement, Mike.

They start just in room light under plastic covers that come off with emergence. When the plants are here in the South Window, there is air movement from central heating. When they go out to the greenhouse, during the early weeks, the furnace runs a fair amount. I have great hopes for bright, warm sunlight in both locations.

Later, some seed may be sown in the greenhouse. Things are warmer and the heater fan isn't running as often. I really watch for those afternoons when the temperature is going to be mid-60's and I can get the plants out just for 45min or an hour in some direct sunshine! It helps, a lot, for me to be around here at home - yeah.

Especially with tiny plants, that sunlight is falling on the soil. Fresh air is moving over it.

Bottom watering, always. Until I just can't find the time to cycle all the flats through the basin.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been looking for a fungicide to help prevent Damping Off when starting seeds indoors for years. I found a fungicide they have in Johnny's seeds called Rootshield Home & Garden. I'm thinking of trying it for this season, soon it will be time to start some seeds again. I always get damping off every year with some of my seedlings, What do I have to lose besides a few seedlings. Maybe this fungicide will help save most if not all of my seedlings this year.
I think you're suppose to mix the fungicide in the seed starter mix or in water when watering the seeds.
Are you using a good seed starting formula? I use vermiculite to cover all seeds when planting. I also use coir for starting daylily seeds. I never have any damping off, though I think I used to when first starting out.Do you sterilize the pots that you use every year? What kind of pots do you use?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have used a potting mix made for African violets for starting my seeds, maybe I should switch to seed starter mix. I'm going to go ahead with that fungicide just to be on the safe side. I've tried many remedies before to control damping off, (cinnamon, bottom watering etc.) but it would be better to just prevent damping off in the first place.

Thanks Everyone for your replies!
I appreciate it :)

Mike

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used a potting mix made for African violets for starting my seeds, maybe I should switch to seed starter mix. I'm going to go ahead with that fungicide just to be on the safe side. I've tried many remedies before to control damping off, (cinnamon, bottom watering etc.) but it would be better to just prevent damping off in the first place.

Thanks Everyone for your replies!
I appreciate it :)

Mike
I think vermiculite is the real key. Also re: African violet mix. I think it is heavy on material like peat to hold water. Seed starting formula should give you better results. I have also bought some really bad seed starting formula that just turned into pure mold from walmart or Kmart or some such place. I always use Promix.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was using peat pots last year in my greenhouse and got a really ugly white mold all over the peat pots (too much moisture?) I was really worried and sprinkled cinnamon all over the pots and the soil around the seedlings. The mold stayed on the peat pots, but most of the starters survived. I don't really know if it was the cinnamon or just dumb luck because I lost most of the tornia starters to damping off. Again, I think they got too much moisture. I am not going to use peat pots this year and am going to be more careful with bottom watering early on when the plants are so vulnerable. I also agree that a lightweight starter mix is better than heavier material. I found that out the hard way!

Latest posts