Dandilions... horrible weed for you, valued crop for rednecks

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lol I am guessing that some of you know where this is going already but anyways.

The dandilions are up you know what that means for a redneck's wife? Hours of picking the flower heads and a night of starting homemade wine :D I put together my first to jugs of the season lastnight but then it rained on me today. I am hoping that the weather is better this weekend so I can pick more. I'll let you know how it turns out in the fall.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing this . . . I've got plenty of flowers!!!!! How much of a time investment is it? What type of container do you brew it in?

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The most time consuming part is the waiting I think. But the flower picking can be also. I got my little guy to help, he is 5. I told him I would pay him a doller for every grocery bag he could pick me. I ended up paying him .50 a quart instead lol. I brew mine in gal glass jugs. They are pickle jars for restrants and such. They are easy to clean and reuse cause they don't hold the flavor of the different wines. I usually let mine sit a week or two ( sometimes a month depending on the type) in those then I strain it into 1 gal glass jugs (small mouthed ones) to work in. Glass is deffently the way to go.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you, nightshade!

I'm looking at all the dandelion flowers in my back yard and I just know that some of the neighbors are going to have a fit about them, but I really don't mind them. There isn't anything much else for the bees to pollinate yet, anyway. If I can put the dandelions to work for me, then their presence will be justified. If anyone complains, maybe I can give them a little dandelion wine? :)

You're right, glass IS definitely the way to go. I'll start looking for some of those large containers . . . or maybe I'll try a small batch to start with. My husband and I have been wanting to try making beer and/or wine for some time, so this seems like a relatively easy introduction.

I just wish I had a little one to help me pick the flowers. :/ I think it would make the job a lot more fun! :)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd be curious what nightshade's recipe is, as well.

There's one on Mother Earth News , that sounded good. I also googled dandelion wine and found a page with three recipes .

I'd be interested to hear which recipes any of you decide to try. I'm leaning toward the Mother Earth News one, but might tweak it according to some of the other recipes I found (and linked to here).

Reaction score
nightshade said:
The dandilions are up you know what that means for a redneck's wife?
Hey, I represent that remark! :p
Seriously though, dandelions are a great salad green. Pick them young and they are very tender, tasty and chock full of Vitamins A and C, beta carotene, iron and calcium.