Daphne Question

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting a daphne for a space that is pretty close to their 3' x 4' size. It will probably be a 1 gal. size since that's the most reasonable priced. Do anyone of you have daphnies?

I understand they are slow to grow. Are they easy though?

Has anyone pruned one and had good success with that?

I don't plan on moving it since I've learned they are somewhat temperamental.

Please tell me anything I should know about them.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
I've been thinking of getting a daphne for a space that is pretty close to their 3' x 4' size. It will probably be a 1 gal. size since that's the most reasonable priced. Do anyone of you have daphnies?

I understand they are slow to grow. Are they easy though?

Has anyone pruned one and had good success with that?

I don't plan on moving it since I've learned they are somewhat temperamental.

Please tell me anything I should know about them.

Mary
They are slow growers. They are also relatively short-lived (7-9 years) from what I've read. I had a Carol Mackie that only lived about that long. Loved that plant and it's awesome scent. I also have a second variety of daphne that is still going strong well into its teens.

I would certainly get one for that space. I intend to replace my CM soon now that I have space in Gypsy's Moon Garden for it.

We didn't have any problem with our first daphne. Don't do/ haven't done anything with the second.
Yes, I've pruned my second daphne when it interfered with my mowing space.
I wouldn't attempt to move a daphne. I've heard they are touchy. I would try starting a cutting if I wanted another or thought my plant might be in danger.

What variety are you looking at?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
smart red, whatever is available, probably a Carol Mackie since that's pretty popular. I was particularly concerned about my tight space and will probably need to prune it a little. Otherwise I could move the flagstone path and huge urn that is on the other side. I prefer to leave the bed as it is though. I once moved a mature one and of course it died. :(

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend up here got one about 3 years ago, also a 1 gallon size.

They do grow what may be called slow, but it's a nice filling kind of growth.

Daphnes like slightly acidic soil, so some peat moss added to the soil around it is good. They give it Rhododendron boxed fertilizer, I think Whitney brand, just a little worked around and into the soil a bit with fingers. They planted theirs near some old fashioned Lilacs. Theirs is a variegated variety.

I bet the Daphne will grow super in the bay area!

If you want to take a cutting, remind me. I have a couple propagation books, just have to dig them out from under the piles of clothes in my bedroom. That's a good other thing I need to be nagged to do! I do recall daphne is in both of them...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Marshall, but I'm afraid propagation is a little beyond my abilities and I'm also a little lazy and want instant gratification! :lol: If I want another, I think I'll just head out to the nursery. :D

Mary