Darn cat!!!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
While I was out Sat. my son called me to tell me one of our baby chicks was missing he couldnt find it anywhere...today when I was out he called me to say another had gone missing but this time he saw the culpert...a black cat was in the coop...it ran away under our barn when he was discovered... I let my bird free range so they werent in the coop at the time but we are missing another baby we are down to 4 babies...we made our dogs stay out until sundown when the birds went in to the coop and tomorrow they wont be allowed out of the run at all... I will keep my eye out for that darn cat...and make sure my dogs are within easy calling distance to GET THAT DARN CAT...

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You'll probably have to trap it. Now tht it's found an easy food source it will keep coming back.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep go rent at trap. Put something tasty in there, usually canned food works so they trip the trigger easily enough and you've got it.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Be sure to chck the trap from a distance and be sure there really is a cat in there. Skunks like cat food also.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom, i remember reading something this past summer about a group that catches stray/feral cats. maybe you could see if they can catch and get this cat out of your area. they usually 'fix' the cat and will release him/her unless they seem friendly and then they will try to take it to a shelter. not sure of the group's name but you could probably call one of the shelters.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Deb, That cat seems to have gone on it's way we kept the birds in the run for a few days and kept the dogs out in the yard to discourage it from visiting I think it worked because we havent seen old black cat for a while...We have been letting them out to free range again...they were really ticked off at us...My Chloe is still checking for kitty every time she goes out...we did have an orange cat here Monday but it doesnt seem to bother our birds...Chloe chased it out...

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think having a trap is a good idea when you own chickens. I got a trap over the summer to get a groundhog that was eating up my yard.Since summer I have caught:16 coons,14 possums,3 groundhogs,4 rabbits,and 7 squirrels. I got a cat too,but that was by hand. Keep a trap set 24/7. I had no idea we have coons and possums. I am surrounded by homes and a VERY small strip of woods.They all crowded in there and went to houses to get their food! I even see deer!

Latest posts