darn it! what did I do wrong?

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks so much Tutter for the encouragement! I haven't thrown the second batch away yet - I'll keep an eye on them and see what develops (which I hope is nothing! LOL)

My DH is the breadmaker, so we'll work as a team for the bread/jam combo!

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
As it has been said, don't throw any canning attempt away if it looks weird or did not seal. As long as you have JUST processed it, it will be edible. I always expect a jar or so out of a few batches of jam won't seal. I just count on it to use right away. Same with veggies.

Same with veggies or whatever. It you process them at the right temps, for the right amount of time and follow the recipe to a T there should be nothing wrong with the food. Even if something is "cloudy" it may just mean it is not "state Fair" quality but still very edible. If you let the jars cool overnight and they are not sealed, put them right in the fridge. With jellies you could even freeze them and use in quick bread recipes, homemade ice cream or yogurt.

Keep trying. It is worth the effort and once you get your "canning legs" you will feel more confident. We are all here rooting for you-can you hear us! Root, Root, Root!!!:clap

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes I hear you!
Thanks ever so much!
I'm on vacation this week (even though during this time I am teaching a coupla art classes for kids) and will try again!

I really appreciate it!:happy_flower

Latest posts