Darn sticktights anyhow

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just pulled some sticktight weeds out of my garden and didn't notice that part of the plant had gone to seed. I'm sitting here pulling sticktights out of my tee shirt and off my jeans. In your part of the country they might be called begarticks. BIdens Pilosa.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was unfamiliar with sticktights so I had to look them up. Yikes! The Latin name for them means grappling hook!

On the bright side (?) they are rare wildflowers.

When our oldest was 6 or 7 he and my husband went for an overnight backpacking trip in the Lagunas. The foxtails were ripe and he came home with shoes and socks riddled with them. I tossed the socks but couldn't afford to throw the shoes out, so we spent HOURS
picking the stickers out of them.

You have my sympathy Hoody.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
UGH, sticktights. What is worse is when DH puts clothes in wash with them still attached and I do not notice until I put on undies, dress for work and head out the door.... only to discover I now have some poking my posterior! :somad

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ouch! Those foxtails are the worst. Not only do they eat up your feet if the get into your socks but they get into dogs ears and cause costly visits to the vet to get them removed from the ear canal. They are actually a wild barley. My rabbits like to eat them but only before the heads form.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
While working at a University Vet. Med. Teaching Hospital, I necropsied quite a few dogs, cats, sheep, cattle etc. where the foxtails were in the ears, but also have migrated in and through their eyes , sinuses, and skin and into muscle and some internal organs. Those foxtails are NASTY things. :barnie

Latest posts