Darned Old Memory

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
About 6 weeks ago my son and grand daughter asked me to keep their cat while their family moves from one house to another, in another town. They are having to stay with a friend for "a week or 10 days at most" while the new house is finished. Now, 6 weeks later, they still haven't been able to move. The cat is no problem, except he is old and has diabetes, so I have to give him a special diet and insulin twice daily. Do you know how much cat insulin costs? nearly $100 for a small vial. I have purchased food twice, and insulin once for him, till last night, when I accidentally forgot to put the vial back in the fridge overnight. Bummer. I called the vet clinic this morning, and both vets there said "well, you can still use it, but it may not be any good." So of course, I don't want to kill my grand daughter's cat, so today I had to go get another vial. The food costs nearly $2 a little can. This is one expensive cat. He'll probably live forever.
The one good thing is that my DH is kind of getting used to having an animal around (besides me) so maybe I can soften him up for a dog.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
insulin doesn't need to be refrigerated so don't worry too much if it happens again. just don't expose it to temps over 86*F for more than 28 days. this is per my dh's papers that come with his insulin.

he only stores his in the fridge when he hasn't used the pen yet or when there are warm days.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
go get it out! when you got the vial they should have send a little info about it and how to store it properly. my dh is on Novalog and Lantus, one being a fast acting the other is a slow acting insulin which is what you son's cat is most likely taking since he only takes it 2 times a day. when i checked both packages they say to keep it below 80* but does not need to be refrigerated once in use. also says to not let it freeze so watch it in the fridge if your's runs on the cold side.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha, Thistle! Good idea.
I retrieved the insulin and put it back in the fridge, marking the box it's in. I'll let my son decide whether to use it or not. He was buying a washer/dryer combo today, so it looks like the home is about ready to move into.