Daughter tried to pay me for lunch ???

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Married daughter drives up here to work and so comes by for lunch every day ~ today she handed me $40 ~ What's this for ? To help defray the cost of feeding me ~ What the hell you talking about ~ you shouldn't have to still feed me ~ Are you crazy ```

Some times I wonder what goes through their heads ~ like they've been replaced by aliens ```

Like she text me: I love you dad ~ I test back: Fills my heart ~ Later she test: what did you mean by that? She may need to eat more fish ~ my mom always said: fish is brain food ```

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
That just sounds like a considerate daughter, who doesn't want to be a moocher. Sharing between adults - whether family or not - should not be a one-way street, if it is a healthy relationship. It sounds like the offering was well meant. Our adult children often buy us things or do something for us unasked, just as we have always done things for our adult children & their families. That's just part of being a loving family.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
She loves you and doesn't want to be a burden. That she is aware of that and offered to help with groceries shows that you raised her right.

A neighbor needed help yesterday. He sold a boat trailer to a man, the boat trailer was missing a hub on one side and they needed a way to get it to the new owner. They came over to hook up our flatbed to carry the boat trailer to it's new owner. The buyer took $20 out of his wallet to "pay" us for using the flatbed trailer. My husband refused, he then tried to give it to me, I refused. We told him that's not how we do things here, we are a community that helps one another. I told him the fact that he tried to pay, showed that he had been raised right and we appreciated his consideration.

So there you go, you raised her right.

Rammy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My Mom tries to pay me all the time for stuff I do for her around the house or driving her for errands lke the grocery store or doctor. I refuse telling her Im not doing it for money.
I tell her you did alot for me growing up and children should take care of thier parents when its time or necessary. I do let her "pay" me with fried taters, though....she makes the best fried potatoes. :drool

Last edited:

Latest posts