Dead man fingers fungus / mushroom in yard

KT77

Garden lurker
Reaction score
I started noticing dead man fingers mushrooms growing in both our front and back yard. There are no trees or bushes planted in the affected area. We had removed some smaller trees many years ago and our yard is for the most part very dry. We also lay down new sod about 5 years ago and did not see any old tree stumps in the area. Any suggestion on how to control or get rid of theses fungus? I appreciate any ideas you have.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm a pretty laid back person when it comes down to what happens with what little lawn we have left...

IMO when you have fungus that like old buried tree roots you won't be able to eliminate it reliably unless you either dig out the rotting roots or let it finish up the decomposition naturally. since i'm the sort of person who actually likes to see various fungi around and they don't usually cause much harm i don't worry about them.

you can try fungicides, but i think what happens is that eventually they wear off and the fungi will return.

the specific fungus you mention i would enjoy seeing - the pictures of some of it i saw when looking it up were pretty interesting. :)

Latest posts